valve tap

Beefy85CJ7

trouble!.....so i got stuck in this bilzzard up here in new york this president's day weekend. Went out today to try and get my cj unstuck and in giving it a little hell i got it out...But i guess continual revving at about 3-4 grand made it unhappy...and now i hear a very loud valve tap...and my exhaust has a very throating sound to it...AND when i rev a little i got some black junk spitting outta my tailpipe (no cat by the way...don't tell no one)...so my question is did i hurt my valves...or my lifters, rods, rockers, valve springs....???...i've never really hurt any heads...i've spun a bearings and this is very different sounding...any one have experience in this???...luckily if it is springs, or valves i'm at about 90% ready to do my 4.0l head conversion so no loss there...help!...I busted my baby!...[addsig]

Are you sure it's not a leaky exhaust manifold, it is a tapping noise that can be deceiving. Even more likely if you got snow in on the manifold.[addsig]

i just put new exhaust and intake gaskets in about 3 months ago...never had a problem...i'm almost sure it's in the valve train...i just hope i didn't blow rings or crank bearings....too much work for this old bird tho it only has 95k and i bought it with 77k on it. Also i've heard it's nearly impossible to break these hydraulic lifters...anyone know if it could be that?? This is not a tired engine...never burned an ounce of oil...and always babied despite the appearance...[addsig]

Bent pushrod will make a racket like that... NOT a piston connecting rod, but a push rod (from the lifter to the rocker)... Anyhow, that is what i suspect it is... :)

If so, it's a pretty cheap fix... :-D [addsig]

My .02 worth. Suspect bent pushrod. Black junk, maybe nothing. Black smoke = too much gas, blue smoke = oil, gray or white = coolant. Pure white = nothing to worry about. However, if you bent a push rod, broke a valve spring or something along those lines it should be missing. good luck.[addsig]

Back