voltage issue

lovell33w

when i start my yj in the morning, the voltage oscillates back and forth from normal, to bare minimum. its very rythmic, almost like the blink of a turn signal, but much slower. now i don't imagine this is normal, but i do know of vehicles where this is perfectly normal. any feedback would be appreciated. thanks

Last edited:

Do you have a voltage meter you can hook up to the battery, then the alternator then the back of the gauge? This will let you know if this same oscillating voltage issue lies in any of the components. My guess is the gauge is shot.

one more thing to try.. put your foot on the gas and kick the idle up a touch. does it go away? might just be idling too low until it warms up. there is a min. rpm to put out enough amps to maintain the battery.

Sounds like it is a guage but definalty test the alternator and battery just to double check. also under your dash in the ignition harness there are 10 guage wires, test those with the meter just to make sure it is not something faulty in the wiring. (check the constants and ignition)

is the gauges a typical problem?

the only one i have left working is the oil pressure and clock.

is it cheaper to go with factory (junk yard) replacement or after market?

Back