Wagoneer Diffs

Whips 17

Hi. I have a 80 CJ-7. I'm looking to get longer wheel space for racing and would the diffs off a mid 80's wagoneer work?

Looking to get stronger and wider tracks is what I'm looking for

It sounds like you're asking if you can swap Wagoneer axles into your CJ7. From what I understand many of the Wagoneers used dana 44 axles which should be at least slightly stronger. I've read that all 79 and older wagoneers had an offset rear (meaning that the diff was slightly to the side, and not in the center).

Here's a link to what axle is in what vehicle:
http://www.powertrax.com/jeep2ns.pdf

Overall I can't tell you if it will swap or not - hopefully someone with more knowledge of Wagoneers will come along.

I did some more reading, and it appears that Wagoneers from 80-85 had and AMC 20 with a centered diff, as well that is wider and has one piece axles. It would appear that that year may be a good swap for you (but don't take my word for it). You'll need to verify the dear ratio when swapping as well.

You could make pretty much any axle work. As for ease of swapping Idk if there would be a difference between wagoneer axles and axles from a fullsize truck. I do know the Dana 60s of a fullsize will be way stronger

I dont think you can mount the front springs under the frame. they have to be mounted outside of the frame. You have to weld a spring perch on the outer side of your frame, The axles are wider and the front dif prevents you from mounting them under the jeep. If you look at your front 30 passenger side spring ubolt, you will see that the one ubolt is right up against the dif, on the wider axles the dif i right where the spring needs to go, so people mount the front axle outboard of the frame. I think the rear is mounted as normal. Most waganeers came with 44,s front and rear but some did have the amc 20. Starting in, I think 82 the cj,s got wide track axles (yours should have narrow track) They are 3" wider than the ones you have now, Same axles but wider, the gearing on the wider axles will prob be dif, yours should be 3.54 and those will prob be around 2 something. Thats not a problem, you will just lose a little gearing

Last edited:
I know someone who use the Dana 44's for a mid 70's Scout. From what he told me, you'll need some fabracation skills. They add about 2" of width to your stock axles. From what 69jeepcj said and what I read, the real problem will be the front. I found this arcticle for you....Maybe it will give you some good ideas????

Swapping Scout Axles into a CJ

Back