Want to buy a GPS

JeepMonkey

I want to get a GPS for the car. I want something that I can use on the trail, but the majority of use will be on the city streets for the wife. I have only used one before now and it was a Garmin Nuvi series. I really liked it, but I only used it in the city. Would it be any good in the mountains off-road?

Let me here from some of you!

Got a Harman Kardon as a gift last weekend and returned it today. Lots of software and map data errors. Steer clear of that one. I've been reading up on GPS to find a replacement and that Garmin Nuvi series are pretty highly spoken of. I'd think any of them would work well off-road b/c they rely on satellite signals. If they can see sky, they should be good.

I have Garmin software on my phone and it works great, real similar to the Nuvi. Not sure if any have good offroad info like trails and topo.

I'd think any of them would work well off-road b/c they rely on satellite signals. If they can see sky, they should be good.

That's what I was thinking. I really want to be able to map out all the trails I go on and the different obstacles, campsites and junk like that. I'd also like to know the elevation and other stuff like that.

Got mine from Amazon. Had no clue of that stuff but after I read some comments I found a system that didn't disappoint me so far.

I've got a Garmin Quest 2, and I don't recommend it. The map route calculation is very slow. It constantly requests to recalculate the route (or does it automatically when depending on the user settings). Often times the unit has difficulty finding satellites (especially while driving). It's not the touch screen variety, which is what I'll be looking at for my next GPS. The screen actually should never be touched due to its special coating. One positive: it's waterproof, a major reason that I bought it.... but mine has never been subjected to water/rain.

The first Quest 2 I had was factory refurbished, and after 6 months completely locked up on me. I sent it back to Garmin, they returned the same unit to me, with no repairs done to it. The paperwork stated a separate serial number was sent, as in a completely different unit. Upon the second return sending of the original unit, they finally sent a replacement... and it's still as slow as the first.

So, buyer beware. Do your research, read customer reviews, ask questions, and think reality.

Back