Warn vs. Ramsey

Warns tend to be a bit faster, but both have a good reputation. Don't know that one is better than the other. I have Warn, my ex-brother-in-law has Ramsey. Neither of us have had any trouble from our winches.

I'm leery of the wireless winch remotes. I remember seeing a winch that wouldn't stop winding in and self destructed due to a signal coming from somewhere other than the remote. Wired remote works fine and easily reaches back to the cab. If it ain't broke.....

Warn, my 8274 was built in '75 and still works well, can still get parts for it. Don't know if the same is true for the history of Ramsey. With either, understand that entry level winches my very well be imports.

There's a gadget out that allows you to control the winch with the steering wheel buttons, if your TJ is so equipped.

Warn, my 8274 was built in '75 and still works well, can still get parts for it. Don't know if the same is true for the history of Ramsey. With either, understand that entry level winches my very well be imports.

There's a gadget out that allows you to control the winch with the steering wheel buttons, if your TJ is so equipped.

probably a dumb question, but what's considered an Entry Level winch? :?|

When Bounty says "entry-level" he means winches that aren't meant to work super hard continuously and be abused. Most of Warn's winches aren't entry level. Winches like the super ultra budget friendly $400 and $500 dollar winches TEND to fall into the entry level category.

That being said, I won't buy anything but Warn. After they way I've treated mine and the way I've seen other people treat theirs I'm sold. I've pulled on mine hard and continuous in ways that should have put other winches into the scrap heap. Warn tends to be faster and more reliable than most other brands IMHO. Ramsey isn't bad by any means but I'm not a fan of much else.

Thanks Guys! Your advice is very much appreciated! I'm still on the fence as far as which direction I want to go. Still shopping around for future mods all the way around. I have to stick to a pretty tight budget, so it make take me longer to buy the better quality stuff, but in the end it would be well worth it.

I've got a Warn 2.5 on my Can-Am and Love it. I just don't know anyone personally that has had any type of Ramsey products to compare.

For someone like myself who would just use a winch occasionally and not day to day as most 100% trail rigs would use, what would be a good direction to go? Like pull weights, types of winches, etc....... I am pretty clueless when it comes to winch set-ups for diffrent applications.

I have one of these:

image-missing.png

Husky 10,000lb by Superwinch

And I have a wireless system for it, and I love it. It's got a 150ft wire rope, and the wireless will transmit the same distance.

I have one of these:

image-missing.png

Husky 10,000lb by Superwinch

And I have a wireless system for it, and I love it. It's got a 150ft wire rope, and the wireless will transmit the same distance.

I like the low profile look of this winch. Have you used it alot?

Superwinch.

Did a tour of their manufacturing facility in CT last March, quality product, quality customer service.

Ramseys are junk.

I will NEVER buy another warn winch in my life. I have a warn 9.5ti on the front of my jeep, cost about $1000, and after 4 years (slightly abusive) use, it has failed a number of times and Warn will no longer honor the life time warranty. Even with the warranty, it cost me $80 each time to ship it to warn for repair. Now it will cost me $300 to repair.

That's the first bad thing I've ever heard about warn.

Looks pretty full at 90'. 3/8" is some large cable. I was considering bumping up to 3/8" if I ever go with synthetic rope.

That's the first bad thing I've ever heard about warn.

Actually I could tell you another bad customer service story from my brother. He has a warn, and he had trouble with customer service when his winch failed.

i like the fact you can use the warn when submerged in water... i don't know if that's the case for the ramsey.

Does anybody know anything about the old worm gear Ramseys? I don't see them much any more. I know that they're real old school technology, but they look foolproof. Also, they draw less amps than a planetary gear setup. I see that they're still sold retail, but they seem much more expensive than I'd expect. Any info would be appreciated.

My buddy used to run one. They're big, heavy, and solid as an ox. They're pretty reliable because of the design, just slow. The Husky winch pictured up above looks like a worm gear driven winch.

Back