What a Mess!

signguy

Hope I can find a little help sorting out a 1979 CJ 5 258 I6 that I just bought. First, the carb does not appear to be the one that should be on this rig. It is the Carter BDL but it has a bunch of wires and vacuum tubes that don't connect to any thing at all. It also has the little white plug in gizmo, (computer plug in) on the rear of the carb. Would like part numbers for what should be on here. Runs really rough. Cleaned out idle jets and tubes. Still dribbles gas into the venturies. Old beat up Holley came with the deal. Should I kit it and replace the Carter. Also, timing appears to be 180 degrees out. Is that possible?

Welcome to Jeepz. If the Holley carburator has less clutter of vacuum lines and no electronic sensors, i would go with that to keep it simple however, if you do a search around our site, there's been a lot of post about the MC-2100 carburator conversion that seems to be the preffered replacement. Carter's are not that bad to go with your 258 if you so desire to go that route.

if you are just looking to have a semi-reliable Daily driver, the MC 2100 is a great choice. if you plan on wheeling, either convert to EFI or install a 4bbl manifold and a small cfm holley truck avenger carb, I think 470 cfm.

OK, Thanks for all the great advice will start looking for a MC 2100 right away as I took the Carter apart to kit it today and it is definitely toast. If any one has one they would like to sell please feel free to get in touch with me. Thanks again!

Back