What do you guys think of the 304?

bigdaddygb

I just picked this 79 jeep cj7 up today with the 304 in it. it's auto and truck purrs like a kitten running off external fuel tank. afraid to run it off gas in tank as it was a barn find... Is it a good motor? i check my vin and it's original to jeep. Apparently this style jeep could have come with a 360 if it were a different vin. so i figure this 304 is probably like a 318 mid class engine. any one have any experience ( not building a race care here) souping up the engine a little?

i don't have experience with one but i couldn't find one near me that was for sale for the year i was looking for a v8 to swap into my 87. i ended up with a 302 from a bronco. lots of people say the 304 is not worth keeping but i wish i could have found one

I've never heard of the 360 being available from the factory but it will bolt right in, as will the potent 401.

The 301 isn't the powerhouse it could be due to emissions restrictions, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with them.

The 304 has either 125 or 150 hp and the 360 has 25 hp more. All the AMC v8,s will interchange as a direct bolt in except for a motor mount change on the 6cyl, they are not a direct bolt in on the 4cyl models. The 304 is a good engine, I have had many. They have a slight oiling problem to the passenger side back cylinder, if you google "304 oiling problem" you can read about it. Out of several 304,s I have owned only one developed a problem from the lack of oiling to that cylinder, it started to knock.

I bought my first wife a Gremlin with a 304 and it would fly. Never had any mechanical issues out of it .... she got the car in the divorce and her new boyfriend lost control and totaled it.

I had a "77 CJ7 with a 304 & a 3spd. The 304 had a lot of torque off the line especially in the lightweight CJ. A PO had put a Holley 750 4bbl on it which was a bit over carbed,but I never had a problem with it. You could literally start from a dead stop in 3rd gear.
Watch the oil pressure There's a oil "splash ring" behind the timing chain cover that is prone to wear cause oil pressure problems.

Back