What is the lightest 35s

Iroks But it's still going to be a turd without gearing.

Iroks? Those are heavy... If you want light, do NOT go for MT's. AT at most, but I agree that weight alone will not compensate enough for the regear.

Iroks are light compaired to most mud tires but I didn't even think about an AT or even a full on street tire in a 35. Folks I know that run bigger tires don't mess with those.

With one whole rotation, a larger tire travels a further distance than a smaller tire. This is why the gears ratio changes, not weight.

69jeepcj said:
With one revolution, a larger tire travels a further distance than a smaller tire. This is why the gears ratio changes, not weight.

But I know the BFG KR2s run small so the actual height would be about 33.5". The tires I have now measure 31". Would it be that much of a difference where it would hurt me?

LukeBurl22 said:
But I know the BFG KR2s run small so the actual height would be about 33.5". The tires I have now measure 31". Would it be that much of a difference where it would hurt me?

33s would be a lot more livable than 35s. When I first bought my jeep it has 33 swampers they looked good but I didn't use 5th gear not even on the highway. But I had the 4cly with 4.10 stock gearing.

If you have a 6cyl, I think the 33's would be a nice compromise. I had a V-8 cj7 with stock 3.54 gearing on 35's and didnt like it. I have had V-8's and 6cyl with the same 3.54 stock gearing on 33's and it was like night and day. You will lose some of the gearing with the 33's but not much, you will probably notice it most when you want to accelerate quickly or pass someone. As stated above if you have a 4cyl, you can go 33's but will lose a lot of gearing, forget 5th on the highway. I personally would not go 35's with out a gear change, its a lot of stress on other components trying to make up for the lack of gears.

With one whole rotation, a larger tire travels a further distance than a smaller tire. This is why the gears ratio changes, not weight.
Weight has a lot to do with it. More mass takes more power to get moving. If you regear a Jeep to compensate for larger tires only, and return the Jeep to the same final ratio as when stock, you will have lost some performance to the added weight of the larger tires. This is why it's best to always regear a little lower than what the charts and equations recommend.

Check out Falken tires: Tires - High Country All Terrain - Falken Tire

Also consider sticking with a metric size tire, they tend to run narrower than a standard size and will save you mass.

Agree, weight does play a role. Takes more power and gear to move more mass. Its the
speedometer that changes because of the further distance traveled, correct?

Right. The 35" tires are gonna really kill performance if you have the anemic '07-'11 v6.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Right. The 35" tires are gonna really kill performance if you have the anemic '07-'11 v6.

But what if it's a 35" that runs small and actual height is around 33". I have 33s now that measure about 31"

Bounty__Hunter said:
You'll feel it, especially with that minivan motor. Why not invest in gears instead of tires?

I'm just trying to find the cheapest route

Don't go cheap with your drivetrain. It'll cost more down the road. If you're gong to such a tall tire, re gearing shouldn't be an option it should be a no brainer. It's just my opinion.

LukeBurl22 said:
I'm just trying to find the cheapest route

Cheapest route in the long run would be to regear. You will put more stress in your clutch and drive train. If money is a issue regear the rear axle first and leave the front stock just dont engage 4 wheel drive

LukeBurl22 said:
But around how much would it cost me

For a good set of gears around 350-450 roughly. And you'll have to pay a shop to do the work. Call around your area and get a quote from multiple shops

The average in Los Angeles price is about $600 per axle. If you buy the gears and take it to a shop you run a gammit of issues. Some folks don't think about a master install kit, rtv, gear oil, etc etc. I would find a respectable shop that specializes in gears. I've some some friends get their axles chewed up by poor jobs.
It seems like a big chunk of cash (it is) but its worth it. I ran 33s on my LJ with stock 3:73s and it was no bueno. Went to 4:10s and ran like a stud. Went to 37s last year and and re gearing was also considered, I went with 4:88. By the way what size axles are you running. General rule of thumb, of 35 you should run at least a Dana 44.
Oh yeah, if you re gear, you might as well throw in some lockers....
No one said it was a cheap hobby.
By the way, jeeps rock!

ha ha ha, you guys are scaring him out of it. (i know you are scaring me out of it and i can do gears)

Back