What was Your First Jeep?!

My first Jeep was a two door Cherokee. 1984 with a stick and four banger. Averaged 22 MOH on the highway with a small trailer in tow. That is why my current Wrangler is a four banger. Had a 86 Grand Wagoneer after we outgrew the Cherokee. 360 was a gas hog, but what a sweet beast.

Mine was a 92 YJ with a 4cyl 5spd. Picked it up in Canada for whooping $2000 in 99'. Stuffed some 31's under it and a couple lockers in it and followed many a different jeeps on 35's and still kept up(although the jeep payed dearly for it:D) I beat the snot out of that poor little jeep. Sold it to a farmer and his kid. It was going to live out the rest of its years being enjoyed by a new jeeper out on a farm in western MN. Ah memories....

P1010002-1.jpg

My first was a 88 Comanche with the I6 and 5spd and no A/C. I loved that little truck. Just like everyone else I wish I still had my first Jeep.

tattoodtj said:
My first was a 88 Comanche with the I6 and 5spd and no A/C. I loved that little truck. Just like everyone else I wish I still had my first Jeep.

My step dad had one of those when I was little and for a little truck/Jeep it seemed to always go "anywhere"! Until one day I found it floating in the lake. Lol! But when he got it out, it Still had many good years.

Christian

Last edited:
You're a mailman. Cool. Those belong to the gov't, tho. You didn't actually get to take it home, right?

Thanks. Yeah, back in the day the Postal Service would auction off those old Jeeps when they were done wearing them out. A lot of rural carriers would end up buying them. I still have an '82 postal Jeep that I bought from another carrier in addition to my Wrangler.

i would love one of those postal jeeps. i saw one on craigslist where they had cut the top off and worked the tub edge to make it look like a stock right hand drive jeep. i almost fell for it but after looking at it for awhile, where are the hinges for the windshield? why does that part not look like my buddies? i emailed and he told me it was a postal jeep in a past life

First jeep was a 75 cj5,6 cylinder,manuel stock. Had when I lived in Florida. First experience wheeling with it really got the adrinalin running. Went with one of the local yahoos to where they went wheeling, was this swampy area about as long as a football field. Went down the middle of that, a thin strip of it had semi hard ground that I could keep one side of the jeep on. First time through wasnt bad bit of a rush cause I had never done it. The return trip got real interesting, Had the drivers side on the somewhat semi firm ground,but the passenger side was sinking fast,didnt dare stop. Just floored it and hung as much of my body out the jeep as possible hopeing it wouldnt go over, one hand on the wheel,pedal to the metal and I was hanging outta the jeep. Made it through luckily.

I've posted this before, but new for this thread topic. Well here it is, 45 years ago in 1967, Jeep number 1 and me at 15:

image-missing.png

A 1953 CJ-3B in pretty good shape. Sure Jeeped all over the Sierras and eastern CA with this Jeep. Good rig, never could get used to the high hood though.

Robert

Robert, those are some really keen boots. It appears as though you are scowling at your ex girlfriend who is across the street holding hands with another boy. :-o Lol

What is on the front of the jeep, at the top of the grill? It almost looks like a handlebar.

Cool inquiry. No to all. Ha. I had just had an incredible summer in the sierras running CAT and heavy equipment for a logging outfit, having fun, and being in the mountains. Then, had to come home down in Davis in the valley floor, to go back to HS-junior year--it sucked. The boots were wired together. That handle was off a 1944 Army Trailer, that the logger that had it was scrapping so got the grab handles off it. No, GF. Not yet. My junior year was the first........

Great post,

Robert

Back