What's up with my brakes!!!

Once again, I appreciate all the advice and help. I'll give the pedal test a try as soon as I get a chance. My E brake lever does come up quite a ways. Do you adjust it from underneath? Seems like I noticed threads and an adjustment one day when i was under it working :???:

If there is an adjustment for the lever it would be at the equalizer bar under the Jeep below the center console area.

hmm. . . the equalizer bar sounds perfect, yah try to adjust it and take a couple of test and see if it would last.

Finally got around to giving my Jeep the Pedal test. I had to push the pedal fairly hard to get the rear wheels to stop spinning. I tightened the break adjuster up a few turns and kept checking. I finally decided to see how it would act while in gear up on the jack stands. As the rear was spinning, I had to really mash hard on the brake pedal to get them both to stop. At first, the driver side would stop and the passenger side was still spinning a a pretty good pace. I adjusted a little more to where they stopped pretty much equally, but still had to mash hard. Pulling the E-Brake up still will not lock the rear wheels.......

Still locks up the front and the e-brake won't lock the rear wheels. Don't ya just LOVE stuff like this. lol

another question. If you are on any type of dirt road, mtn road (non pavement) etc...... The Front should not slide even though it is disc fronts and drum rears? correct? I just don't know if this is a Jeep oriented problem as I've never noticed it on anything else I've drove. I would guess the Drums shoudl help the whole Jeep slow down without the front going Ape $%*t

COMBINATION VALVE
The combination valve contains a pressure differential valve and switch and a rear brake proportioning valve. The valve is not repairable and must be replaced as an assembly if diagnosis indicates this is necessary.

PRESSURE DIFFERENTIAL VALVE
The pressure differential switch is connected to the brake warning light. The switch is actuated by movement of the switch valve. The switch monitors fluid pressure in the separate front/rear brake hydraulic circuits.

A decrease or loss of fluid pressure in either hydraulic circuit will cause the switch valve to shuttle to the low pressure side. Movement of the valve pushes the switch plunger upward. This action closes the switch internal contacts completing the electrical circuit to the red warning light. The switch valve will remain in an actuated position until repairs to the brake system are made.

PROPORTIONING VALVE
The proportioning valve is used to balance front-rear brake action at high decelerations. The valve allows normal fluid flow during moderate braking. The valve only controls fluid flow during high decelerations brake stops.
Depending on how hard you apply the brakes would be contingent on a lockup condition on a slippery surface.

Do you think it would be worth a try to install the 50/50 Proportioning valve I got out of our 97 Grand, since there doesn't seem to be moderate brake pressure to the rear on sudden stops?

If you already have it, and your willing to give it a shot, what is there to loose but rather gain some more knowlege from experience.

Thanks for all the Help and Info Mikey! I know reading up on Tons of member's questions probably gets overwelming, but to you and all the other Crew that helps us out! Thank You!!! It will be a while before I get to tackle this, so keep your fingers crossed! Another quick question, where is the combination valve located? Or is that part of the Proportioning valve? I have no clue where it's at if/ when it needs to be replaced.

The best way to find it is to follow the Master Cylinder lines to the frame. it should lead you to the Proportioning Valve. the Combination valve is part of the Proportioning Valve. it would be bolted to the frame on the driver side.

Alrighty, I know exactly where the Proportion Valve is. It could very well be the combination valve screwed up and just needing replaced. I'll change it out when time allows and report back. Thanks again!

I got some spare time today and went ahead and changed out the Proportion valve off the Cherokee. Bled the system (several times each wheel) and still no change. I've not got much hair left to pull out!! The front is still locking up and slides while off pavment. YOu can go in reverse and hit the brakes and the front will slide on pavment and you can actually make them sqweel/chirp and a small black mark where it slides. I am heading back to the garage to tighten up the E-Brake adjustment as the rear will not lock when you pull the brake handle up......

Ok, I might be on to somthing here.... I Tightened up the E-Brake tensioner and can finally get the rear wheels to lock up when I pull up on the handle (Still needs a little more tightening I think) But, I did notice the sliding of the front is not as bad as it was.

Question:

Does anyone think that maybe tighting the E-brake cable, which in turn pushes out the top of the shoes, is helping the shoes to make a better contact surface? I need to go back and re-adjust the rears again.

I'm hoping this is going in the right direction finally!:D

My e brake cable snapped completely and i can still stop fine so I dont know if it would make a difference.

I can sell you a boat anchor to help you stop8)

Back