Wheel question

Aler_22

I have a 98 Sport and just got new tires (BFG 31 x 10.5 x r15 LT). I want to get new rims but am not sure what some of the info means. I currently have stock rims. I want a little offset to push the tire out a bit. Where can I find out what these terms mean so I know what to look for in rims. For example would these rims work for me?:

Bolt Pattern: 5 x 4.5 (I get the 5 bolts but what about the 4.5. Is this something I can measure?)

Size: 15 x 8

Offset: -30 mm (what does this mean?)

Sorry for the nooby ?'s
Thanks for any help.
Aler

5x4.5" is the correct lug pattern for your Jeep.

30mm is likely the backspacing. Backspacing is measured from the wheel mounting surface of the rim to the inside lip of the rim, where the tire bead sits.

when you space the wheels out and give your vehicle a wider stance... it places the tires directly under the FLARES, instead of under the actual wheel wells. i had this problem when i spaced mine out with some AR-767 rims. this is nothing major... but it will cause your tires to rub on your fender flares whenever you hit a bump or cause the suspension to flex in any way. i solved the problem on mine by ordering cut-out flares... but this is somewhat of an expensive solution. you WILL break your stock flares off (i know... it happened to mine) if you ever hit any bumps hard enough.

I don't know what the TJ flares are like but the ones on my YJ have taken a beating and there's nothing wrong with them. I've jammed the tires up so hard into the front flares that it actually bent the front fender up as well and nothing happened to the flares except mabye a few scuff marks. The flares just went back to their origional shape. As for wheels, I work in one of the largest wheel manufacturing factories in the world for Toyota. The easiest way to picture the offest of the wheel is to look at it sideways. The part of the wheel that attaches to the vehicle (called the drumface) can be center (0 offset) can be further in towards the back of the wheel causing the wheel to stick out further (negative offset) or can be further towards the face of the wheel causing the wheel to stick into or under the vehicle more (positive offset).

Back