Where is the oil dipstick for a 73 J400 360?

Adele

I can't seem to figure out how to post a new thread for someone to tell me........"Where in the heck is the oil dipstick for a 73 J400 360 ???
I have had so many folks stop by and take a gander but no one can find it.
There is a dipstick near the firewall on the passenger side but ..isn't that the transmission fluid checker thingy-ma-bob. Me and my friend Lori pulled it out and it sure looked like transmission fluid instead of oil.

Sooooo Where in the heck is it? please?
Thanks
Oh....and how do I start new threads in places that aren't for just here.
This is the only place that I could find that would offer me to thread.
Thanks lots folks!! ;o)

Last edited by a moderator:

Re: Can't figure out how to new thread to find....

check along the dist shaft prob stashed right behind it
or maybe you dont see it cause it fell out lol

AMC 360 oil dipstick should be on the driver side right below the third cylinder on the engine block.

Hey thanks for the info. on the dipstick! I have been out there with the brightest little flashlight that I could find and an old metal folding kitchen stool and 'dived' right in trying to get as close to that area as I could and still be able move me head around to look more ......and not get twisted up and stuck. haha
I thought I may have seen the whole for it 'once'. But when I tried to show someone else..I couldn't find it again.
Sooo I'm guessing that someone either broke it off or just plain took the whole thing.
I know that this is a really important peice to have but at this point I think that it would be easier for me to just drain the oil and get a new filter and just put in what it's supposed to have in her. I gotta do it any.
I just got her running yesterday after she sat in a field for a yr. :D!!!
And I did it ALL BY MYSELF....well, except for putting the battery in and out of her.
I had a bet with my hubby that if I didn't get it running in 30 he was going to haul her over the scales. Ta Daaa.
Now the kid that we got her from is telling me even 'if' I put it in drive it won't go anywhere. He said that the linkage is lost or off.
I know when I was driving it before she got put in the field she ran like a little fondled ape.
I'll hush up now....just had to brag..:D
Thanks again you guys!
I'm sure that I'll be back in here more;)

Sorry for the crappy pictures but it's the best I could find real quick ;). Between the 3rd and 4th cylinder. It is possible the entire piece (the dipstick and the tube it goes into) was pulled out by someone or fell out. If that's the case, you should see a hole down there by the oil pan where the assembly should go in.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

To make new threads:

1. You must be logged in
  2. Just go to the section you'd like to post in. An example would be the CJ forum - CJ YJ TJ and JK - Jeepz.com
  3. In the upper left hand corner you should see a "new thread" button - just click it.

Back