which headers shorty or fenderwell?

jackal

now I am finally ready to install a 350 chevy in my 78 cj7. Which header to use? You guys ( or gals) need to tell me the pro and cons of each.I know the fender well are cheaper and the shorty are $28,956.21. It seems that all of the companys want me to buy the shortys , and when I ask them if the short street rod headers will work, they say " yes they will work if they don't hit anything". No kidding! Can some of you tell me if the shorty street rod headers will clear the motor mounts and clutch linkage? I may go with factory exhaust manifolds if I can't find out anything definite.

Thanks for all of the information, in advance.

The Jackal :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :evil: :-D [addsig]

If they wan't $28,956.21 for the shorty headers,
I would buy a new Rubicon instead, you'll get more for your money. :-D [addsig]

I'd install fenderwells.

I have seen some clean & neat exhaust systems with fenderwells which put the muffler (& catalytic if needed)
OUTSIDE the frame rails with the tailpipe exiting just in front of the rear wheels.

Clean & neat. Keep the pipes & muffler tight up against the floorboard for max clearance when stepping over boulders and you shouldn't have any trouble to speak of.

At least that's what the guys tell me whose exhausts I have admired.

I tell you what I think would be Soooooo cool!!!

I have those 3" nerf bars along each side of my CJ. I love 'em.

Back in the Day, the custom van guys used to run an exhust called LAKE PIPES.

These pipes, usually chrome, which ran along the rocker panels along each side of a Van & which turned outboard at the rear for the smoke to exit.

Well, If someone would take Jeep nerf bars, add a pipe inlet connection at the front under the Jeep near where it mounts to the frame, and add an outboard pointing exit pipe, much like those oldschool lake pipes did.

These nerf/lake combo would have a low restricted muffler built in of course.

That would be the ticket !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FLOWMASTER ARE YOU LISTENING ?!?!?!?!?!?

[addsig]

check with advance adapters,but i was told that with the clutch linkage clearance would be a problem. i would run fenderwell headers. they will not interfere with anything and after you clear steering and engine you could make exhaust return back inside frame rails or just put banana mufflers on the end of headers. i think thats what theyn call them. like the custom vans and corvettes had on there sides in the early years.[addsig]

Morgster I am ashamed. The word "want" doesn't have an apostrophe "T". That is (wan't)??????. Where did you learn this :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Evidently you don't know about the headers either, so stick to your electric fan topic. Just don't get the extension cord caught in the engine belts.

You are too easy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or is it EZ :p :p :p :p

Jackal [addsig]

I used the shorty block-hugger headers from AA when I put a 350 in my old YJ. No interference problems at all, but my clutch was hydraulic and not mechanical.

If you wheel, the exhaust will be better protected inside the frame rails :roll: [addsig]

Thanks for all of the info guys. I think I may run the fenderwell style. This way I can weld-up the mufflers and exhaust at home , and not scare the neighbors.

Thanks a bunch,

Jackal :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :cool: [addsig]

Back