Which rear-end?

tntchitwood

I've got a 94 cherokee with a 3" JY lift, running 32" tall tires. It is my DD and usually only do "light wheeling". This weekend I got in a spot where something should have broke, (but it didn't, see video below). That got me thinking about my rear axle. Right now it has a 8.25 Chrysler which has served me well. I would like to get a locker in the rear. Is this rear end worth putting in a locker or should I upgrade the rear end first? How does the 8.8 ford rear end compare in strength? I know a D44-D60 would be great, but they are like hens teeth and worth their weight in gold around here. Is there a 9" ford that has the same width as the Cherokee? I guess I would just like to get some suggestions on a rear end.:???:

Last edited:

You can swap the shaft in your 8.25 to the later 29 spline version which gets you close to 44 strength. Tons of people run 8.8s but if you are going to do a swap get rid of the c-clips don't just put in different ones. It's also a bit narrower and you loose a bit of ground clearance as well. You can get a 9" out of an early Bronco or big car but it is also a bit narrow. If you plan on staying with 31s I'd just run what you have.

Thanks man, I appreciate the response.I guess I will just stay with what I got, but keep my eyes open for something stronger.

Back