Why lube the tube?

M G D

Just got finished installing a TJ axle in my '93 YJ and have a lingering question I hope someone will answer. Why is the passenger side or "outside" seal outboard of the vacuum motor housing that's no longer housing anything? Why waste expensive gear lube down the tube when there's nothing to lube? Why not install the "outside" seal at the differential? This is my first jeep & I'm learning as I wrench and ask. Thanks for any answers you can provide.

I am assuming you swapped in TJ shafts no axle, there is a NAPA part number that I don't have with me at this time, but it is the new seal that will work with tj shafts in a yj D30. I know it was posted on here a couple times, give the search function a work out, you'll find it.

Thanks Jonny for the quick reply & of course your right I should have said "shaft" not axle.. I replaced my stock 2 piece axle shaft with a one piece TJ axle shaft, the job's done and I've driven around abit. Still scratching my head why the TJ's long shaft has the axle seal placed outboard of the vacuum motor housing when there's nothing but shaft past the 'dif. The short shaft isn't lubed past the 'dif why's the long shaft? Just trying to learn as I go.. can anyone shine a light on it for me? Thanks.

Then I curse those that offered poor information and that includes the bugger who's web site I unfortunantly found & followed. I'll knock the seal out & do it again the right way, I knew it wasn't right as soon as I finished it even though it was my first. As long as I keep the fluid up will it be all right as long as I dont stress it on the trail, it's my daily driver so I have to put 50 miles a day on the highway. Thanks.

Back