Wider wheels????how??

blue94yj

4 banger to v8 smart idea or no?

Another thing is that really pisses me off is that i see all these new jeeps and a few older ones that have pizza cutters for tires but stick out way outside the jeep.How the hell is that i have 31x10.d and mine just are inside the flare but i think jeeps look so much better where the tires look real wide.So can someone tell me how to do this if its even possible.Thanx

yep, its all in the offset of the wheel. Mine are also 31/10.50 (for now) and they stick out with only about an inch under the body.

Also, consider the fact that if your tires stick out too far, you can't tuck into the wheel wells as well, and you'll have less flex and may rub. Not good for trailing.

i have 31x10.5 and they stick out about 1.5" from the flares.... stock rims

I think just the opposite. I hate the sticking-out look. I prefer everything to look tight under there and I am willing to loose some of my turning radius to achieve it.

Stock wheels have something like 5.25" backspacing. A 3.5" - 4" backspacing will give you that look, but I think it looks ghetto(just my opinion folks). Wider flares make it look better (again, opinion), and takes care of the issue of safety for other vehicles (flinging rocks etc).

I had 32x11.50x15's on my YJ stock wheels and the tread was all under the fenders. Just the slight bulge of the sidewall was sticking out and barely.

image-missing.png

niptuck1-3.jpg

I am with TC on this...
I am not a big fan of the super wide wheel stance look.

I have 33-12.5-15 on a 15x8 wheel with a close to stock offset (I honestly can't recall the exact offset) I get slight rub when steering lock to lock but I can stuff the heck out of the tires cause under full flex, my tires go inside the flare rather than rub on it! (plus it remains street legal here in mass)

Another draw back of the "wide wheel" look is it cause unwanted stress in the axles and bearings ex.... more likely to bust something!

Here are some pics of my stance....I have 33 x 12.5 Yoko Geolanders set on 15 x 10 AR-767's

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

i plow... i need turning radius... i don't care much at all about how something looks... i'm a function oriented man

XJ Coil Spring Spacer Question

If it's done right, I think wide looks great. I'm happy with the stance my YJ has, didn't loose any turning radius, just offset the rims a bit and put wider flares on. I think if the height looks porportional to the width, then you did a good job... though it's difficult to make a jeep look bad if your lifting it.
image-missing.png

torqueflite 727 to jeep transfer case

Joopin said:
If it's done right, I think wide looks great. I think if the height looks porportional to the width, then you did a good job..

I'll agree there. I do like the "tucked in" look, but for a rig with over 5" of lift and 35" tires, that's just not feasible. Wider flares make all the difference though :wink:

it's difficult to make a jeep look bad if your lifting it.

i've seen it done...

that is a common question jeepers ask themselves when lifting.. it seems that appearance is a big issue... again... its all about function

33's or 35's

it's difficult to make a jeep look bad if your lifting it.

Your right snitty, I jumped the gun there. A 3" body lift and 33s crammed up in there doesn't look that great. My bro found that gem in the paper. Accually I was talking to a guy at NAPA yesterday and he started braggin about his Bronco that has a 4"susp. and a 4" body... yeesh. I stand corrected.

I'm a fan of the tucked in look. I have 5" of lift and run 33x10.50 on stock TJ rims (15x7, 5.25" offset) and the tread is just barely under the stock flare. I don't mind the 33x12.50 sticking out a bit, it increases stability. But some jeeps look like a freaking roller-skate with 2" lift and 31x14.50 thornbirds(or something) with 5 or more inches sticking out. Reminds me of the early 90's ricer fad... lowered with 13"x13" tires. !Que Horrible!

But again, it's all about personal preference. I went with the "pizza cutters" so that I could stuff that tire into my wheel well without chewing up the fender flare. I'm successful!

Corey

Back