Winch Question

jeepmedic4

Would a 3000lb warn winch with a snatch block be sufficient for my 2002 TJ? The reason I ask is that I can get one today for 50 bucks. While I realize that 3000lb is not quite enough I didn't know if it would work for the time being with the snatch block which would essentially make it a 6000lb winch. My TJ doesn't have many mods so it weighs in around the 3500 to 4000lb range. All opinions welcome but don't be too harsh on my stupidity. :)

i cannot help you but i know for 50 bucks you could probably resell for more.

i have always wondered the same though. because those lighter weight winches are super inexpensive

50 bucks is less than a tow bill. if it only works once your money ahead,my 8000 lbs superwinch works pretty hard on my jeep when stuck in the mud,the small one might get you out of something minor

Don't do it!! If you have 80' of line and you use the block you can only reach 40'. Next your 3000 lbs is just the first layer of cable and pull capacity will drop fast.
Save your money till you can get a 8000 lbs or larger!!!
I have got my JK stuck where it took 2 10,000 lbs winches to get me out!

Funny how the numbers for "suffencient"winch size have gone up over the years. In the late "70s it was not rare to see 1500lb winches on CJs. I had a warn 3000lb winch on a "82 CJ5(about 2750lb curb weight). The winch got me unstuck from snow,sand & mud many times using a snatch block. MRSG is right that line lenght has to be considered,but I would usually use a strap between the snatch block & the anchor pt,or do multiple hook ups.
I do think the 3000lb winch would be "cutting it close" & a bigger winch would most likely serve you better,but for 50 bucks I'd be tempted to go with it.
I now run a 8000lb winch on my "78CJ5 & have worked it pretty hard pulling up a hill in deep snow so no matter what size winch you have,you can still push it's limits.

That jeep may have weighted under 3k but I guarantee the pulling resistance when stuck can easily exceed 3k.

As for the 3k winch being enough when a snatch block is used, theoretically it would be capable of moving 6k with a snatch block but that likely greatly exceeds the capacity of the cable.

A winch is NOT somewhere you should skimp or hope to buy just enough to get by, buck up for a 8k winch minimum.

Sounds good guys. Thanks for the replies. I will just keep trolling craigslist. They pop up there periodically. No way I can justify 1000 bucks for a winch right now. I don't even do any off-roading with the jeep right now. I save that for my land rover discovery as it is 14 years old and banged up. The jeep still looks pretty lol. Thanks again.

You don't have to spend 1000, there are many options in the 300-400 range brand new.

Years ago I had a new (gasp) bronco and put a 3k superwinch on it. Pulled many 4x4's out with it including myself using the snatch block and a longer chunk of chain. I wouldnt of ever tried it with a dead winching as it would strain to much and stall. As others have said here there are some nice 6 to 8k winches for 300 to 500 range new.

I'll buy it off you for $50.. that would make a great suck down winch

Back