WooHoo! Going to Moab!

joejeepny

I am finally getting to go wheelin in Moab. I had booked a ski vacation in Utah for Easter but my Wife hurt here knee and she cant ski. I mentioned that we should scrap Skiing and think Jeepin. The next day she calls me and says she rented a Jeep from cliffhanger and were going. I have been wanting to go to the easter Jeep safari for years. The only thing is my registration will be a little late, I just mailed it. I hope I get some trails to go on. Anyone else going to the Safari? Hey UJ you going to be there?

I waiut until the week after the madness. I'll be in Moab from March 29th to April 5th.

Doesn't help you much, though...

Enjoy it! It is a lot of fun!

Let us know what you do run!

Hey UJ you going to be there?

I think our group is planning a late April trip to coincide with the classic car show down in Moab 25th thru the 27th in April.

Personally I stopped going down to EJS when they started blocking off the trails for super Saturday for there use only...I really hate waiting for 50 novices to attempt a small bump or obstacle to get my turn...or doing a trail that only takes 3-4 hours and have it take 8+ with a large group like that.

But it sounds like we should try to do a "Get Together" some year and have the whole board invited to do a big run....I know I talked to Red about doing a meet and great in Moab...not sure how many would love to do something like in the future.
We were just down over Thanksgiving and did a 3 day x-mas break run during the week after x-mas. We are heading out to the local sand dunes this weekend, and next month we are planning on doing the pony express trail that runs all the way through Wyoming to Nevada.

hope you have a great time dont have the moab in scotland some good hills and quarries will visit some time ?

Thanks for the good trip wishes. Cant put it of though got the plane seats with air miles n/c. I figure I would experience the EJS for the first time out and come back afterwards on my own and with a few friends. Hey we have had get togethers from the site before at paragon. With enough planning long in advance we could probably get a nice group going in Moab. I express mailed my application, hope I get some good trials.

I can't put the trip to Moab off by a week. It is another online group that I am going with. This will be the 4th year!

I would like to meet ya! Sorry I can't.

BTW - Just 25 days to Moab for me!

Well I got my trail sign up and rented a Jeep. The Only problem is its an automatic. I never drove a jeep with an automatic before?

Any pointers ?????

Well I got my trail sign up and rented a Jeep. The Only problem is its an automatic. I never drove a jeep with an automatic before?

Any pointers ?????
For rock crawling there the best. Just about everyone in my group has and or has gone to an automatic transmission. On the hard steps use the brake to hold the jeep as your load up the RPM's a bit (1500-2000 RPM's) to lock the torque converter, then release the brake and hop up the rock.

Thanks for the info UJ.

Heres My Line Up - Any advice would be appriciated
I rented a TJ - Rubicon with a Three Inch lift and 33's and I do not know how its skid plated - I rented it from CliffHanger.

Is their any trial I should bail on now not to damage the Jeep?

If I decide to take off a day which day? Is there any must do on my list that I do not want to miss?

Sunday - Fins & Things
Monday - Seven Mile Rim
Tuesday - Strike Ravine
Wednesday - Flat Iron Mesa
Thursday - Top of The World
Friday - Gold Bar Rim
Saturday - Kane Creek Canyon

Well Utah,
I read the book you suggested and even went as far to figure up the cost of Jeep shipping and renting scenarios. I would come out the best and be happiest by just trailering my Jeep out. Unfortunately, all my buddies have bailed due to work and moreover, diesel prices. At today's diesel prices it would be nearly $1200 just to get out there and back. Why does it have to be so far???

Thanks for the info UJ.

Heres My Line Up - Any advice would be appriciated
I rented a TJ - Rubicon with a Three Inch lift and 33's and I do not know how its skid plated - I rented it from CliffHanger.

Is their any trial I should bail on now not to damage the Jeep?

If I decide to take off a day which day? Is there any must do on my list that I do not want to miss?

Sunday - Fins & Things
Monday - Seven Mile Rim
Tuesday - Strike Ravine
Wednesday - Flat Iron Mesa
Thursday - Top of The World
Friday - Gold Bar Rim
Saturday - Kane Creek Canyon

When you sign the rental agreement with Cliffhanger rentals they will give you a list of trails they don't want you and there jeep on. I never rented a jeep down there but I think Strike Ravine and Gold bar Rim are no no's. What they don't know, cant hurt them :twisted: .
As to a day off you can miss Wednesday and head over to Arches National park and see the sights,Drive Shaffer trail into Island in the Sky National park then turn around and drive out so you don't pass through a pay station, then head over to Red Cliff's Lodge and do some wine tasting, then drive down to Hole in the rock for a quick tour, Slip onto Pritchett Arch trail and catch picture frame arch, and book shelf, then finish up at Pritchett arch itself, then catch an dinner at Bucks steak house.
Look for a book on your local book selves or you can buy one in Moab by Charles Wells he has good maps and trail descriptions.

Well Utah,
I read the book you suggested and even went as far to figure up the cost of Jeep shipping and renting scenarios. I would come out the best and be happiest by just trailering my Jeep out. Unfortunately, all my buddies have bailed due to work and moreover, diesel prices. At today's diesel prices it would be nearly $1200 just to get out there and back. Why does it have to be so far???

Well Red you dont have to tow the ole beast down...you could fly out and we can take my ride down...if you dont mind driving a TJ...

I don't mind a ride along, but I really want bring the family and get a couple of my wheeling buddies to go. I'll make it happen, it just won't be this spring like I had hoped. The old Jeep is ready to go and I'm itching to see what a southern trail Jeep can do on some slick rock.

I got the newly revised Charles Well's book on Moab this weekend. After all, I am headed out there in less than 2 weeks.

That will probably be it for this year as I am running the Chicago Marathon this year!!!

I got the newly revised Charles Well's Moab book this weekend. Color pictures and color map plates. Pretty cool. Seems like he revised his rating system for the trails, also. Price on the book went up to $28.

I'm headed there in less than two weeks now.

I heard that the Utah State Patrol and the Utah DOT has set up inspection stations on all approaches to the city of Moab. They are stopping, inspecting and ticketing lefted vehicles if they are not part of an organized group (EJS). I have also heard that Moab has become a site for spring flings and the attention is on those youthful cruisers and renegades (Trail riders outside of the EJS).

Who knows for sure?

Update!! WooHoo! Made it to Moab!

Well the trip to Moab was somewhat an adventure on its own.

Left 6:00am Saturday morning and took 2hr Cab ride to JFK airport.
Then 6 hour flight with layover to SLC. Guess what Its Snowing in SLC.
And we have a volkswagen for a rent a car with No snow tires. Six hours driving to Moab at 35 MPH in a Blizzard the hole way in the least most capable vehicle I could be in. After avoiding six deers in the road dead that are the size of Cows out here and passing tripple tractor trailors on two lane roads with no dividers or guard rails (Love your Roads out West) I made it at almost 12:00 am Sunday morning.

Sunday:
Wake up at 6:30 AM exhausted from the trip we run for breakfast and then get over to Cliffhanger to pick up our jeep rental. A RED ONE, Ill Take It! It was a touching moment. This would be my Jeep for the week. A 2006 rubicon with a 3" rubicon express lift and 33" tires and a oil pan skid plate. A little smaller than my TJ at home but reguarddless a worthy trail companion for the week. $2000 deductible you break it you bought it. A previous renter had already bought both bumpers so our appearence wasnt the greatest but at least I didnt have to worry about them.

Fins and Things: We met our trail group and hit the road promptly. This was a fun trail rated a 4, with a few slighty challenging steeps to climb. We were having a great time up on the fins and the going was easy. Then it snowed. Most of the time Easter is a little later in the season but beng its early the chance of snow is high and the rocks havent warmed up yet and it started sticking to the slick rock. On one of the fins I did not use enough forward momentum and lost traction and had to back down a fin. Not fun in the snow. I kept it in drive and kinda slid down and gave gas to control it. The forward traction slowed our decent and we were given the thumbs up for getting down with no trouble. then realized I had made a mistake. I was on a straight climb and didnt lock the front locker. A flick of a switch and a little extra pedal pressure and we were on top of the fin no problem.
After lunch we got back in line and some of us were in different positions. A stock Toyota FJ that was following a stocker was now behind a buggy. The buggy decided to take a different line then the rest of us and not knowing the fj followed. When her front left wheel dropped of a step she new she had a problem and instictivly hit the breaks which sent her rear right tire in the air and almost rolled her over. Tetering on two wheels she didnt move. People ran over and held her down until they got a strap on her and we pulled her back up. A very close call for disaster. That hard top would not have looked pretty if she went over. Just a few moments later she took a bad line going up a fin and wound up in a worse situation that again wound up in diving bodies and the Hook to get here level again. We were soon off the fins and on Our way Home. Thanks to the Quick action of the Red Rocks Teams we managed to get home with memories of an exciting day and being glad we did not have to rescue a roll over.

Day TWO sevenmile rim: Rated a 4 this trail started out with a very tough climb. It would have not been so bad but it had snowed all night and this is a steep climb right on the edge of the rim. Everyone seemed a little nervouse at times but the climb was done easily by all. The rest of the trail was uneventful yet very scenic. When we got to wipe out hill a few of the trucks gave a little show. A TJ with 35'sade it up no problem but a YJ with 33's needed the Hook to get out of a tough spot. I didnt try it with the rented Jeep and just enjoyed watching the events.

Tommorrow: Strike Ravine rated a 5.

Great rail report! Thanks for sharing! Keep 'em coming! What do you think of the scenic beauty of Moab and Utah?

Great rail report! Thanks for sharing! Keep 'em coming! What do you think of the scenic beauty of Moab and Utah?

Yes the scenery is breath taking! How about this picture of these beautiful mountains.

Attachments

• Mountains2.jpg
    Mountains2.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 175
Back