zj springs in a tj?

mrkltj

Hello all. Got a question. Has anybody put the front spring out of a zj and installed them in the front of your tj then put the stock tj coils in the rear? I have heard that this mod will net about 3.5 inches of lift. I assume that you would also need t case drop, track bar brackets, shocks, pitman arm , just like normal but is there anything else? Thanks:???:

Moving your front springs to the rear will net about 3.5"-4" of lift, but the ZJ coils will only lift your front about 1" max. The front to rear spring trick is a good cheap mod, but buy some 4" coils for the front.

Hello all. Got a question. Has anybody put the front spring out of a zj and installed them in the front of your tj then put the stock tj coils in the rear? I have heard that this mod will net about 3.5 inches of lift. I assume that you would also need t case drop, track bar brackets, shocks, pitman arm , just like normal but is there anything else? Thanks:???:
Old Man Emu HD ZJ coils will provide a bit over 3" of lift on a TJ, but the spring rate is stiffer. We use them for TJ's that are carrying bigger bumpers and/or winches. You probably wouldn't like the ride quality on a stock TJ.
They are probably the one's you heard about for 3"+ of lift.

You could run the front coils in back, but I'm not a fan of doing that as the front coils are a smaller outer diameter than the rears and you can run into some bumpstop interference. The lower part of the coil doesn't fit on the perch properly either.
If I'm approaching 4" of lift on a SWB TJ, I'd much prefer a SYE/CV shaft combo as opposed to a t-case drop.
I'm not a fan of trackbar relocation brackets at all, but some use them.
Definitely DON'T use a drop pitman arm unless you plan to relocate the trackbar mount accordingly. Changing one and not the other will induce bumpsteer into your rig.
You don't need it for 3.5" of lift anyway.

I'd think of it as a whole package. Start with whatever tire size you want to run, then determine what wheel backspacing is best for that particular size (to optimize stance, stability and to prevent rubbing on control arms at full steer) and then design your suspension around that.

Your budget will determine whether you do things right or have to cut corners.
Personally, I've found over the years that I prefer to wait a while if I have to, and buy better stuff- rather than jumping in quickly with cheaper or less complete kits that ride & drive poorly or are unsafe.

Just food for thought here...

Thanks for the input fellas. I was just curious about this mod. I am sad to say that i maybe getting ride of the tj tho. :( I am looking to purchase a house. Still going to stay with the brand though, I am looking at cherokees.

Back