a/c,heater problem

Dixiebelle

a/c and heater fan only blows from defroster and at feet no matter what position fan is on, I have the dashboard off right now installing a cd player, any ideas what the problem is

mine was doing that and all it was that a little tube came off the vacum that is on the floor board under the dash in my tj

hmmmm I could use some help in the same area!....I have a 97 TJ and all selections work fine except it will NOT blow out the defrost. If on Floor/defrost...it will blow out the floor...but not defrost.
Really sucks when it is raining out!

Hi,

If you have the problem where air will only blow out of the defrost vents regardless of the switch settings, then it is always a vacuum problem. The air duct paths are controlled by vacuum motor(s), which move dampers inside the ducts to route the air. On many cars, including Jeeps, the vacuum motors are designed to route the air to the defrost vents when NO vacuum is applied to them. Thus, if your Jeep is stuck on the Defrost air vents, your vacuum motor(s) aren't getting any or enough vacuum, or are faulty (i.e. leaking).

Something to check in addition to the vacuum lines would be the vacuum check valve, which should be inline between the climate control head and the vacuum reservoir.

-Nick :!:

Dear Nick,
Thank you so much for your response. I will check this out. This is really good information, no wonder you still have a jeep going with 409,000 miles on it. Mine only has 72,000 it's a 96 and I want to keep it forever. With help like this, maybe I can. Thanks again, Dixiebelle

show me your pumpkins

_(OIIIIO)_Jeeper said:
what if you can get air to blow everywhere BUT the defrost?

Then your Jeep is just trying to be different. :p

Once again, it would come down to a problem with the vacuum motor (sticking and not closing all the way when vacuum is removed.), Climate control unit (not properly blocking the vacuum to that motor when set in defrost mode), or some other problem with the damper preventing it from switching positions correctly. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Back