Clutch pilot bearing

geronimo_e

I just decided remove the trany and pay a visit to my clutch and it turn's out that the clutch pilot bearing was totaly destroyed (go figure) the only thing left was the outer ring, but it wont cum out, i've tried extractors, hamers, hidrolic tecnics, etc, but nothings worked, Im starting to go nuts, and geting tired of the family van, how to get it out is the cuestion? can I go totaly violent with it and use a shisel?? any help or orientation will be apriciated, thank you...

P.S. since my main language is spanish I dont have very good spelling sorry.[addsig]

Use a common jigsaw with a short blade. Make a cut on one side, then cut on the other side of the pilot bushing. Since the bushings are usually made of brass, and the crank is steel, the brass will cut easily and you don't have to worry about damaging the crankshaft. After you've made these two cuts, the pilot bushing should just fall out.

Also, don't use a hammer and chisel because the hammer banging will throw the crank out of whack. HTH[addsig]

Thanks a lot, I got it out at last... by the way what do you mean by geting the crank out of whack?, couse I did hammer a little before your info.[addsig]

Glad to hear that you got that stubborn thing out. You probably don't have to worry about the crank, but it is possible while hammering it to knock it forward a hair which changes where it rides on the main bearing surfaces and may put the rods slightly out of line as well. [addsig]

Thanks a lot, I finally got it all back together... but still there are some problems I will like talk about later.[addsig]

Back