can anyone help a fellow jeeper out???

pghpenna

TJ speaker wiring

Had to have my gals 93 YJ towed home this weekend, I think it has a bad slave cylinder (see previous post). The jeep has the dreaded Pugeot trans, I know the ax15 should be with this year but my gal fried the engine a few years ago and had it replaced. I think the mechanic replaced the engine and trans to make his job easier. Instead of just replacing the slave cylinder after I crack this egg open I want to replace the disc, pressure plate, pilot and slave so I do not have to go thru this again for a while. With out running the risk of sounding ignorant, what is the best course of action for ordering a replacement kit??? Although it is a 93 YJ I dont know if the spline count would be the same for the Pugeot trans shaft. Should I crack and count the spline number or can anyone tell me if these two transmissions are compatable. Thanks, Frank

sorry I cant help, but I am curious. The jeep is a 93 with a 4.0 I assume, and at one point the motor was replaced with another 4.0 right? I have never heard of a puket-it transmission in any year jeep with the 4.0, just a few years with the 4.2. Anybody else think that this sounds odd?

You are correct sir. The engine is a 4.0L 6 cylinder with the Pugeot trans, dont know if there is a special bell housing to accomplish this feat. Frank

that mechanic must have replaced your 4.0L with a 4.2....is your current motor carborated?

and just for the record i have been wheeling the snot out of my peugot transmission for 4 years and i havent had a problem with it since i changed the fluid...(knock on wood)...lol....it just seem that the peugot transmission gets an overly bad rep.

this is puzzling, are you sure its a peugot transmission, look at the case and see if it splits in two down the middlke along the length of the jeep from front to back, if it doesnt its not a peugot trannny

The Peugeot is likely from a carbed engine if it came from a YJ, and a mount for the crank position sensor would have to be fabbed to work with the 4.0L, unless the transmission came out of a Renix 4.0L equipped XJ or MJ.

I checked the website for a company I use for all my clutch kits, and found that the site listed the same clutch dimensions/specs for the years '88, '92, '93, '95. The '88 would be a Peugeot and the other three are the AX15. Clutches for all 4 years carried different part numbers, so I can't say 100% that they are interchangeable. Sorry that I made this as clear as mud.

For a clutch kit I recommend getting LUK brand clutches from www.carolinaclutch.com , hard to beat the price and quality.

Back