Anyone re-gear their TJ?

JPmuddin

Just wanted to ask if anyone has re-geared their TJ, I have a 4-banger and want to go to 4.88 to get a little better power on hill climbs, and eventually want to get 33" tires. How much did you pay?

I am going to soon on my g/f's TJ. I will be doing the re-gearing myself so I only bought the gears and such.

You're looking at about $250 per axle for parts, and about the same per axle for labor unless you can find a jeeper to do it for less.

I figured as much, I want a stonger axle in the rear (have the stock danda 35) so I think it will be better to stay with my 31" tires and BB and wait until I get a new jeep years from now, lol then I can get them as options. Ugh, if only I had done more research in the first place...

Don't listen to all the naysayers about how weak the D35 is. I ran one in my '88 YJ (non c-clip) with a built 350 and 33" Buckshot mudders, never had a problem. I know run my '95 D35 hard behind the 2.5L with 33" swampers and a welded differential, no problems. I say run it until (if) it breaks, then upgrade.

I agree with bounty .I am running 35 " bfg mud's on my 35 with the 4.0 and never had any trouble so far. But i also dont go wheeling very often and when i do i try not to kill it as she has 150,000 miles and any day could be her last . lol

I dunno about anyone else....I have blown the 35 into about 1 trillion pieces... 3 carriers....1 set of spiders.... bout 6 shafts.... and 2 sets of ring gears..... hence the currie 60 rear...

thats what i like to hear about the d35, bash it, prove its a turd, waste some money on it just to prove moreover it really is a turd and then spend lots of money on a currie rear end.

To each his own. If you can swap something else under there.

$250 per axle for parts and the same for labor. Thats what mine cost.

Back