1993 Wrangler wants to be healthy

bluejeep

I have a 1993 Jeep wrangler that i just bought. When i bought it it did not have an air filter and one of the hoses was coming of.. so the previous owner did not take good care if it. I am taking the jeep on a 200 + mile road trip on Thursday and would like to what i should do to get better gas millage and not break down in the middle of the road. Here is what i already did.
New oil filter + oil.
New fuel filter
Coolant system flush and new thermostat.
New breaks
New U joints.

The jeep has 165,000 miles on it. Should i get new spark plugs? anything else i should do to keep it running? Any other maintenance things i forgot about? thanks!

I have a '93 YJ with 160,000 mi also. Check the plugs to see if they've been changed. I know when I got mine the plugs had not been changed and they were all fried. Check and/or change all the fluids. Especially the transmission. If you have a leak then you'll be in trouble. I replaced mine already because the past owners didn't take care of it. Tires should be obvious. Just in general go through ur basic maintanence and look for obvious stuff too. i.e. Loose hoses, missing parts. Hopefully that's what your looking for. Goodluck
Mike

As long as you're doing the other stuff, I'd spend a few bucks and get new plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor...............might not help things but definitely would not hurt - and then you know what ya got! You didn't mention whether it was a 4 banger or a 6....with the 4banger, you should get around 20 mpg if things are up to snuff.

Which motor is in it (2.5 or 4.0 ?)
Manual transmission? I'd replace the transmission oil with some pennzoil synchromesh.

Back