Gear ratio after lift

socal_rob

I've got a 4" Skyjacker lift on my TJ and have gone from 29" to 33" tires. When I lived down in southern California, I didn't notice a huge difference in performance. However, now that I live in Tahoe, my TJ definitely feels underpowered. I often find myself in 3rd gear for extended periods when driving up to the lake from the Carson Valley.

Any thoughts on performance? Would changing the gear ratio make a major difference? I know it will help, but how much? If I decide to go that route, can anyone recommend a great mechanic/shop near Tahoe (ie: Reno, Sac, etc)?

Thanks!

-Rob

My friend's 4.0L TJ had a very noticeable power loss after going from 28's to 33's. I bet it would make a big difference if you regeared, I mean the 4.0L Jeeps already come with tall axle gears (3.11 or thereabouts).

RE: Windows on YJ & CJ hardtops the same?

What ratio to switch to depends a lot on what you have in there now, as you want to gear down approx. the same percentage as your tire height increase. What's in there now?

A viable solution for many Wrangler owners with the 6cyl. is to locate used axles from a 4banger jeep, as they're either 3.73 (auto) or 4.11 (manual). It's often cheaper to install used axles than to pay parts and labor on regearing, unless you need to go lower.

RE: Stereo question

With the cost of gears running around 129$ and up re-gearing is not that bad. But and here is the kicker...the best you can do is 3:93...all of the factory jeep axles come with either 3:56(Manual) or 3:73 (Auto).
The next size is 4:10 (or 4:11's if you call it that way), but with this up-grade you will have to change your carriers. If I remember my gear chart 33's will do good on gas milage with 3:93's but better off-road performace with 4:10's.

Re-gearing will give you all your power back. Tell us about your drivetrain (4 or 6 cyl? Auto or Manual trans?)...

Utah, the front and rear carriers have different ratio breaks, so you can't apply the common ratio availability to both axles.

And 3.07, 3.55, 3.73, 4.11, and 4.56 were all available factory ratios in jeep axles from '84+.

Why there was no looting in TX during hurricanes

can you simply swap in 4banger axles to get the 4.10 ratios? are the knuckles the same (for strength) and the u-joints compatable w/the driveshafts??? dont mean to steal the thread but seems a viable question for both YJ and TJ....

Re: RE: Here is an IDIOT..... or was it the buyer

OutOfStep said:
How much do carriers run?
Carriers run all diffrent prices, depending on what type you buy. I know an ARB for the front dana 30 with the factory 27 spline is 749$ right now.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Utah, the front and rear carriers have different ratio breaks, so you can't apply the common ratio availability to both axles.

And 3.07, 3.55, 3.73, 4.11, and 4.56 were all available factory ratios in jeep axles from '84+.

True but in the Dana 44,35 and the thirty with 3:55 or 3:73's you can go up to the 3:93 on the same carrier. But the back spacing on the ring seat and ring side spline reciever changes when you go to the 4:11's.

Since you are just across the lake from the world reknown Rubicon Trail, I would think you could pick up a phone book and find a decent off road shop in the area. I'm with Bounty in the sense that you could find some cheap, factory geared 4.10 axles and replace them both easier and cheaper than regearing. With as many modidied vehicles around the Rubicon area, you should not have a problem finding used axles with 4.10's. They will work great with 33's.

Cheap windshield motor needed

D30 Case Changes:
Low 2.72 - 3.54 and High 3.73 - 5.38

D35 Case Changes:
3.31 & down, 3.55 & up

That being said, a jeep with 3.55 can go as low as 4.88 and only need the front carrier, not both.

I agree with bounty. We do use 4 cyl jeep axles at our shop all the time to save customers money. factory 4 banger wranglers came with a 4.10 ratio and is a direct swap into a wrangler of the same years. I have heard of a lot of people just swapping in the the carrier, ring, pinion and shims from the donar axle with very good success. Alot of shop will do this to save time. The theory is that the housings are very close to being the same and that as long as you are pulling the setup carfully that it should come up within spec for set up. We've tried this method a few times with mixed success. I had to reset up 1 out of 12 because the back lash was off a little.

D30 Case Changes:
Low 2.72 - 3.54 and High 3.73 - 5.38

D35 Case Changes:
3.31 & down, 3.55 & up
yup your corrrect on the splits for when you need to change the carriers

Back