A/C blend-air door

groverboy

My A/C system checks out fine, meaning all of the components under the hood. I noticed that the air coming out of the vents is cool but not cold. The temp setting on the dash is set all the way to the left but when I move it just a little to the right , still way in the blue cold position it blows warm. Do you think this is a blend- air door problem?

Yes, hi and lo pressure are within the normal range. I'm thinking if i bypass the heater core will that do anything. The fact that there will be no heat to mix with the cold air might help?

What kind of jeep is this?
The cj and yj had a seperate stand alone ac unit, so the bypass will do no good. if a tj is what you have, you may want to give the info on how you checket the freon level. on the 134a equipped vehicles, a half pound from full will give you fits. also, having the system reclaimed and recharged can sometimes help , due to small ammounts of moisture built up in the system. with that being said, the climate comtrols with vac assist have been problematic for chrysler, jeep and dodge in particular, so that door prob you were refering to may very well be it. if you notice a change in the sound of the fan under acceleration, this may be the culprit, and good luck finding the vac leak, as they usually prove to be illusive.
hope this helps...
Glenn

Last edited:

I believe the TJ is set up like my 2000 XJ... If that is a correct assumption, then the blend door is not vacuum controlled, but rather by an electronic motor. (All of the on/off flaps are vacuum controlled.) Again, if it is like my XJ, that motor is located on the bottom of the housing above the passenger's feet and can be checked fairly easily. The blend door fits into a keyed hole in the motor assembly and you can see it rotating back and forth as you move the temp control. You should be able to determine if its going through its full range of motion if you play around with it.

You can also check your lines under the hood to see if they are also warm when you are experiencing this problem. If they are, that will tell you the problem is not under the dash. Mine was recently operating fine for a while when I started it up, but then going warm. After alot of screwing around it turned out that my compressor clutch had worn and was not staying engaged as the compressor cycled. By the way, you can check that by putting a screw driver up to the clutch when its not engaged. If you feel the electromagnet, that means the coil is trying to engage the clutch.

Good luck diagnosing the problem.

Back