Water Pump Swap

Jeeppicus

The water pump on my '01 Sahara is leaking pretty bad, and I have a new one, along with a thermostat coming this week. I've never taken one off before, and since I am in school now with only hand tools, is this something I can do in a parking lot in an afternoon?

How do I loosen the pulley, and do I take it off the water pump first, or do I pull it off as a unit and move the pulley to the new pump?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You generally loosen the belt via the power steering pulley, or an idler pulley, not sure on a jeep as new as yours. You can then remove the pulley and water pump.

You may want to look for Haynes or Chilton manual for help, or check out a Factory Service Manual (FSM) that can occasionally be found online.

You talkin on a TJ with a 4.0? If so you have a tensioner pulley, but first I would take of the fan with fan wrench, or a big open end wrench if yall got one. Then the belt, then the water pump, I think there are only 4 bolts...oh, but I also think you gotta move the power steering pump, for some reason I remember doing that.

I just got yall this:

1. Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
2. Drain the cooling system (Refer to 7 - COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
NOTE: The engine accessory drive belt must be removed prior to removing the fan.

3. Remove accessory drive belt (Refer to 7 - COOLING/ACCESSORY DRIVE/DRIVE BELTS - REMOVAL).
The thermal viscous fan drive/fan blade assembly is attached (threaded) to water pump hub shaft. Remove fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly from water pump by turning mounting nut counterclockwise as viewed from front. Threads on viscous fan drive are RIGHT HAND. Using a suitable fan wrench loosen the fan drive (Fan and Fan Drive Mounting - 4.0L Engine).
4. Remove power steering pump (Refer to 19 - STEERING/PUMP - REMOVAL).

CAUTION: A number or letter is stamped into the tongue of constant tension clamps (Clamp Number/Letter Location) . If replacement is necessary, use only an original equipment clamp with matching number or letter.

5. Remove lower radiator hose from water pump. Remove heater hose from water pump fitting.
After removing fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly, do not place thermal viscous fan drive in horizontal position. If stored horizontally, silicone fluid in viscous fan drive could drain into its bearing assembly and contaminate lubricant.
6. Remove the four pump mounting bolts (Water Pump Remove/Install - 4.0L Engine) and remove pump from vehicle. Discard old gasket. Note that one of the four bolts is longer than the other bolts.
If pump is to be replaced, the heater hose fitting must be removed. Note position of fitting before removal.

tjh20pump-1.gif

Back