Zipper Maintenance

campingnut1973

What can I put on the zippers on my soft top so that they will slide more smoothly. They are at the point that they r geytting harder to zip and I don't want to tear the up. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Might try some silicone spray.........comes is a spray can and is easy to use. Seemed to help mine - which reminds me......they could use another dose!! Thanx for starting the thread!!

Mopar makes a zipper cleaner/lube for the soft tops. You can get it at the dealership. It's not that expensive ($10 or so IIRC), but there may be something cheaper that works just as well. I'll have to leave that up to the experts.

I have used Petroleum Jelly in the past for fishing boats, and it kind of helps... But the Silicone spray seems to me to be a better option, as I have had good results from this.

I used a number 2 pencil... after i tore up some of mine. When i brought them to the upholster he told me to just use a pencil over them. it seems to work.. its time for a new top for me anyways. almost 8 years old.

I used a number 2 pencil... after i tore up some of mine. When i brought them to the upholster he told me to just use a pencil over them. it seems to work.. its time for a new top for me anyways. almost 8 years old.

Yep, a little graphite lube.

A bar of soap works too, but I prefer graphite. You can use the pencil method or use a bottle of dry graphite lube which is actually a powder. I put it on as I am unzipping to make sure it gets spread around well.

Graphite powder is also suggested to use in lock cylinders (where you insert the key) to keep the pins operating properly. Not much is needed, as there isn't much surface area inside the cylinder keyway. Cars, cabinets, home doors.... most all turn-key locks can benefit from the graphite powder every once in a while. Depending on the lock's environmental conditions, twice per year may suffice.... or twice per decade may do just fine.

And that's your tip for the day ;)

I use silicone lube that I get from the dive shop. its made for plastic zippers that deal with salt and grit all the time.
Its a paste and I don't have to worry about over spray from a spray can.

I've used spray can lemon Pledge or Favor for years with great results. Then I use it on the inside and outside of the plastic windows, all interior plastics and metals (everything except the windshield), dash, gauges, knobs, seat brackets etc. Cheap. Not oily like Armor-All. Doesn't attract dust. What a great cleaner that leaves a shine and any overspray is just part of the cleaning ritual! LBR

I've used spray can lemon Pledge or Favor for years with great results. Then I use it on the inside and outside of the plastic windows, all interior plastics and metals (everything except the windshield), dash, gauges, knobs, seat brackets etc. Cheap. Not oily like Armor-All. Doesn't attract dust. What a great cleaner that leaves a shine and any overspray is just part of the cleaning ritual! LBR

You forgot to mention the "Fresh, lemony smell!!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JK, of course!! I'm gonna have to try that!!

Warning I was told not to use anything strong enough to weaken thread . thanks jeff

Back