Need help on taller tires

TJorbust

Hey fella's, a newbe here. Just found the site, and im hope'in to learn as much as i can. I've got a 2004 SE TJ, 30/35 with 4.11's, plus a 2.4L motor= NV1500 5 speed. The tires on my TJ are P225/75/15's on ECCO wheels. The TJ is my DD, and im on a budget. So a good all around tire size would be ideal. I do plan on a BB for a little lift, plus a gear swap in about 4yrs after she's paid for. I do have two sizes in mind though, which are the 31x10.5's vs 33x10.5's not sure which though. :???: Please Advise

Welcome to the "Z"!!!!

You can run 31's with no mods whatsoever. However, you might as well forget 5th gear (windless flat stretches and downhill only). But my little 4banger will run all day long in 4th at around 3000 rpm and she keeps up with traffic just fine. 33's will require some slight mods.

Welcome to the "Z"!!!!

You can run 31's with no mods whatsoever. However, you might as well forget 5th gear (windless flat stretches and downhill only). But my little 4banger will run all day long in 4th at around 3000 rpm and she keeps up with traffic just fine. 33's will require some slight mods.
Yeah thanx for the reply, mine with the P225 GSA, 28" tall tires will pull up slight grades just fine with it in 5th with the 4.11's. Im just curious about how much 31's, 32's, 33's will knock the crap out of my 2.4L with 4.11's. I was just curious as to wich tire was a good chiose for a DD = 31x10.5/ 32.11.5/ 33.10.5. and which gear that would work best with either size. This my first jeep. :idea:

OK, with the '04 SE you sit in the same position I have been since '03. Mine was a DD......I have a company truck now so it doesn't get driven daily ('03 with 117,000 miles - it has been driven ALOT!!). It's quite a capable vehicle as is.........trust me. 31's will give you a bit more ground clearance than stock - 1" to 1 1/2" more. The motor, gears, and stock axles will handle it just fine. Now to go further..............33's or 35's or such.......requires some more thought. Will the Dana 35 handle the stress? Will the 4.11's handle the extra rolling weight/diameter? Will the stock suspension cause rubbing/flex issues? Personally, the next mod I was considering was a locker/lockers. But then, if I'm putting in a locker/lockers, why not re-gear while I'm at it??? And if I'm going to re-gear, why not lift it and go with bigger tires??? I think you see where I'm going....................isn't it great owning a Jeep!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sure you've heard it, but the name "Jeep" equates to Just Empty Every Pocket!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm still thinking a locker as my next step. From what I've been through with the Jeep, it'd be my best bang for the buck.

BountyHunter and Currupt (and others I'm sure......don't mean any dis') both run 4bangers a WHOLE lot harder than I do. I'm sure someone else will chime in with better/added advice. ENJOY!!!!

I've put the 4 banger through it's paces. My buddy was running 33's on 4.11's. He didn't have 5th gear worth a crap, but he made it around fine for a looooong time. He just regeared after doing an axle swap. Hell, I used to run 33's on 4.11's and I made it by just fine. That little motor loves the 2500-3000 RPM range. I think 32's and a BB would do you good. 33's and you start to stress the Dana 35, it's kind of a turd in case no one told you that yet. My buddy that just did the axle swap actually split his carrier into two pieces, hence the axle swap.

OK, with the '04 SE you sit in the same position I have been since '03. Mine was a DD......I have a company truck now so it doesn't get driven daily ('03 with 117,000 miles - it has been driven ALOT!!). It's quite a capable vehicle as is.........trust me. 31's will give you a bit more ground clearance than stock - 1" to 1 1/2" more. The motor, gears, and stock axles will handle it just fine. Now to go further..............33's or 35's or such.......requires some more thought. Will the Dana 35 handle the stress? Will the 4.11's handle the extra rolling weight/diameter? Will the stock suspension cause rubbing/flex issues? Personally, the next mod I was considering was a locker/lockers. But then, if I'm putting in a locker/lockers, why not re-gear while I'm at it??? And if I'm going to re-gear, why not lift it and go with bigger tires??? I think you see where I'm going....................isn't it great owning a Jeep!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sure you've heard it, but the name "Jeep" equates to Just Empty Every Pocket!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm still thinking a locker as my next step. From what I've been through with the Jeep, it'd be my best bang for the buck.

BountyHunter and Currupt (and others I'm sure......don't mean any dis') both run 4bangers a WHOLE lot harder than I do. I'm sure someone else will chime in with better/added advice. ENJOY!!!!
So you've got a 2.4L with 31's? Did you notice any great loss in power with them?

I've put the 4 banger through it's paces. My buddy was running 33's on 4.11's. He didn't have 5th gear worth a crap, but he made it around fine for a looooong time. He just regeared after doing an axle swap. Hell, I used to run 33's on 4.11's and I made it by just fine. That little motor loves the 2500-3000 RPM range. I think 32's and a BB would do you good. 33's and you start to stress the Dana 35, it's kind of a turd in case no one told you that yet. My buddy that just did the axle swap actually split his carrier into two pieces, hence the axle swap.
Ouch :shock: that sucks. I guess the biggest reason i was curious about the 31's and the 33x10.5's was because anything wider than a 10.5 will stick out to far with the SE flares, plus the ECCO wheels that are on the jeep are 15x7's which i was'nt sure if 32's would work with them.

So you've got a 2.4L with 31's? Did you notice any great loss in power with them?

No, didn't notice any great loss, but I didn't have the stock tires on very long, so I really can't judge. In my opinion, that would be your best, first mod. You might want to consider changing out those stock steel wheels...........mud sticks in them in places that are hard to clean........makes for some VERY wobbly driving until you clean them out. I bought some solid aluminum rims on eBay shortly after buying the 31's and have not regretted it a bit. Something like these - eBay Motors: JEEP WRANGLER CHEROKEE OE 15" WHEELS RIMS (4) u (item 180225860373 end time Mar-23-08 17:00:00 PDT) - can't remember what they call them, but they're solid aluminum with no spaces where mud can collect. Anyway, food for thought.

No, didn't notice any great loss, but I didn't have the stock tires on very long, so I really can't judge. In my opinion, that would be your best, first mod. You might want to consider changing out those stock steel wheels...........mud sticks in them in places that are hard to clean........makes for some VERY wobbly driving until you clean them out. I bought some solid aluminum rims on eBay shortly after buying the 31's and have not regretted it a bit. Something like these - eBay Motors: JEEP WRANGLER CHEROKEE OE 15" WHEELS RIMS (4) u (item 180225860373 end time Mar-23-08 17:00:00 PDT) - can't remember what they call them, but they're solid aluminum with no spaces where mud can collect. Anyway, food for thought.
The ECCO's are aluminum alloy 15x7 that are 5 spoke. What you've got are called Conyon's, and they sale for $75 all day long at the Collins Brothers.com site. One other thing i was curious about is, what 31's would be like with 4.88's. Reason be'ing, some of the post from other sites i've read, say the going from 4.11's to 4.56's is not worth the $$$$ so if im gonna do a gear swap, it'll have to be atleast a 4.88.:???:

Duh......yeah, Canyons, those are the rims I bought. Sorry, missed the ECCO reference in your original post. The original stock steel wheels suck big time....I see you don't have that problem!

As for the gears, yeah, I'd like to know what it's like with 4.88's, too!!! If Bounty chimes in, he can fill you in on the gearing, but I would agree. If you're going to swap out, might as well go at least 4.88's.

Yeah i've felt that the ECCO's where pretty ugly since i've had them, and thought about the gambler or the canyon's myself. I do have a brand new set of P275/60/15 which are car tires, that i purchaced for another project. They are the same 28" tall tire as are the P225 GSA's, plus there just as wide as a 10.5 tire. I had to part the project out, but still have the tires. I was thinking that since im on such a budget, with a house and two car payments. That they should'nt look all that funky for now, that way i could swing a better set of wheels.

Back