Tires...Need your opinions

droog

I know there are a ton of tire threads, and I think I have gone through most of them. But I wanted to know what thoughts there were on the following tires.
Firstly, I have a 02 Wrangler X. Daily driver. No lift. When I have the chance, I try to get her door deep in mud at least twice a month. I live in northern Illinois, so snow and ice are a big issue. Basically, which ones do you think are best with mud, ice, snow, and wont wear down so fast. Im looking for 31X10.5's
The tires that I was considering are...

SSR Series Super Swamper Radial TSL
TrXus MT's
Firestone Destination MT
Mickey Thompson Baja Claw

thanks.

hey i had pretty much the same problem. i have a 97 wrangler sport (no lift) and i hated the way the old stock tires looked, so i bought Dayton Timberline M/T 31x10.5's with Micky Thompson Classic II wheels. it was a mistake. although i love them in the summer, i dont want to ruin them during the upstate new york winters. i'm anxious to hear what other replies you get because i am going to look for new tires and wheels for the winter.

i know i probably didn't help much

so snow and ice are a big issue. Basically, which ones do you think are best with mud, ice, snow, ...

...TrXus MT's
Firestone Destination MT
The Trxus and the firestone are great tires. Personally I would choose the interco Trxus, but the Firestone are solid and have the carbon bits in the tread that are effective in ice.

try to stay away from the baja claw unless you get just an incredible deal on them. I had 33/12.50/15 on my white 90 yj and they rode like crap on the road, only were good for forward in mud. sucked in snow/ice, but were awesome on rock. hope this helps.

All input helps. Thanks!
I am leaning towards the Trxus. but i read they are a pain to balance.
not sure how much that should matter...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GREEN-DIAMOND-CARBIDE-MUD-TIRE-17-10-PLY-BLEM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ66475QQihZ005QQitemZ150191564229QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW:?|

That's a retread, HyTech Retreading uses the same Green Diamond stuff but I haven't seen that tread pattern before in a retread.

I trust retreads when made right, ran a set on my jeep before, but that's too much $$ for a retread.

I have Timberline 32x11:50-15's and love them, but if I had it to do over again I would by the Firestone Destination MT's I like the way they look and have heard very good things about them.

If interested in a tire like the one in that auction I woudl just go with hitech retreads like BH mentioned. They have a pretty good reputation and great pricing.

I've been running TrXus MT's since I built my Jeep and have had no problems with them. They've gotten me through a lot of mud, sand, snow, and over a heap of rocks. They have good road manners and are (too) quiet as well.

I've got 34 x 12.5's on my Jeep - at the time I bought these they were the only tires I could find that offered the 12.5 in a (true) 34", I don't know if anything has changed in the past 4 yrs.

When I need new tires I will replace them with the same if that tells you anything.

Back