97 wrangler door won't unlock

DuffTrucks

So i go to unlock the drivers side door and get in yesterday to find the damn door won't unlock. The key turns somewhat but it takes some effort and you can tell it's not right. So I climbed through the other side and tried to unlock it from there but still nothing. When you push the latch to unlock it, it won't go all the way and as soon as you release pressure, it goes right back to where it was. I took the door handle off and the rod is still attached. So how do I get the door panel off if I can't open the door? Between the steering wheel and the side of the seat, it's not like there's a bunch of room! Any ideas?

Take it apart, and clean it. On my YJ, if the bolts that hold the lock in place are too tight, the door wont close properly, so dont overtighten it! In my case (half doors, YJ), it was fairly easy to take out the mechanism, clean it, inspect it and reinstall it... Took about 30 minutes to do it 3 times (that's when I noticed it only acted up when overtightened; the door would not lock it in the closed position, and the door would simply bounce off the jeep).

Mine was having a similar problem. 99 TJ Also took apart the mechanisim, cleaned and Soaked it in WD-40. Fixed it.

if its real cold try when its warmer. bump the door like surgested in the hope the catch jogs free. try to get some wd40 to it.

so no idea realy how you can open the door if it wont unlock....sry mate

Try this, while turning the key to the unlock position, grab the release handle and see if it opens. i have to try several times doing this to get the release handle to catch the cam in the mechanism. Once you opened the door , you can remove the door panel.

Try this, while turning the key to the unlock position, grab the release handle and see if it opens. i have to try several times doing this to get the release handle to catch the cam in the mechanism. Once you opened the door , you can remove the door panel.

That's how I got mine loose...

On mine one of the plastic clips that holds the lock rods together near the latch was broken. Luckily I have a mechanic friend who saves that stuff and we found one that worked.

I blasted mine with WD40 and fixed it. Also, put WD40 on the key, then immediately insert the key and turn. This cleans out all the crap from the most sensitive areas.

Back