CJ ignition upgrade

dave123

I have a 75 cj-5 with the 304. It came with a prestolite ignition. I upgraded it to the team rush, which uses the following parts:

79 AMC distributer from a 304
88 ford cap, cap adapter, rotor, wires
79 GM ignition module.

See picture (copied from teamrush.com)

Originally, I used the prestolite wiring. It started and seemed to run fine. I let it run about 15 minutes. Then I got a case of "do it right" and I took out the prestolite wires (35 years old and corroded) and went with the custom wiring. Now, after about 2 minuts of driving, the engine starts sputtering and eventually dies. The module heat sink gets SUPER hot. I have replaced the module and tested the coil, no luck. I have double checked the wiring for problems, it all looks good. I'm stumped. Other facts:

1. the only wires I have are the 5 from the module (1 fender ground, 2 to coil, 2 to dist.) I see a ground on MSD part #8862. I assumed it went nowhere and was not needed. Am I wrong?

2. I assumed dist. was self grounding, do I need a ground there?

3. I ran all the wires (except the ground) next to each other, do I have to separate them?

4. I used 14 gauge wire throughout, ok?

5. I notice a (very) little jumping in my factory voltmeter that I do not remember seeing before, could this be related?

6. Does it matter exactly where I splice my hot to the coil into the hot from the ignition and the voltage regulator? I just have them all hooked together.

Something happened between when it ran fine with the prestolite and when I decided to "do it better" and gut the existing wires and go custom, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it was

Could there have been something that was in the original wires that I removed without realizing?

If anyone can solve this, you will be on my Christmas Card list forever! I'm going crazy.

thanx

Attachments

• PrestoliteReplace01.gif
    PrestoliteReplace01.gif
    64.7 KB · Views: 816

Have you been able to correct the issue you were having? you say the heat sink was heating up and stated that you used 14 awg possible easy fix would be going to 10 awg just a thought.

Have you been able to correct the issue you were having? you say the heat sink was heating up and stated that you used 14 awg possible easy fix would be going to 10 awg just a thought.

I got a much bigger heat sink from a guy that makes computers. It was just getting hot. 14 gauge wires turned out to be fine

Why in the world would they make this kit with a GM module??? Why not just use the Ford Duraspark module that plugs into that distributor? The Duraspark was the stock setup on later CJs (like my 78) . -John

Back