Newbie to JEEPZ!

lmahfouz

:???:Hey guys im new to jeeps. My first one is a 09 Wrangler X. I was putting it into 4wd drive last night when it got stuck in 4lo and know my transfer shifter is moving freely without catching anything. Someone said it could either be my shifter is loose and another guy said it could be the transfer cable or bushing... how do i get to my transfer box to see whats wrong???

Wouldn't even know where to start on that.........get it up on jack-stands and start looking. If you can get it into neutral, put it on a trailer and take it to a shop. If it's a cable or something it may still be under warranty.

lay under the trans and look up. sounds like your shifter came unhooked. look about where hte shifter is for something not hooked up

SuperJ has got it but if you reach up from the front of the transfer case you can feel the shifter rod and input arm on the transfer you can shift the transfer back into 2HI from down there and then take it to the dealer or your favorite mechanic and have them adjust the shifter linkage or tell you if it is broken.

***Please note set the "E" brake before you attempt this since shifting the transfer case into neutral will allow your jeep to move if its sitting on a incline.***

If it's a cable or something it may still be under warranty.

Its a 09 so that's doubtful

SuperJ has got it but if you reach up from the front of the transfer case you can feel the shifter rod and input arm on the transfer you can shift the transfer back into 2HI from down there and then take it to the dealer or your favorite mechanic and have them adjust the shifter linkage or tell you if it is broken.

***Please note set the "E" brake before you attempt this since shifting the transfer case into neutral will allow your jeep to move if its sitting on a incline.***

X2

My best bit of advice is that you throw the wrenches in the air, do a quick 180 and run, run, run. This jeep life is not the way to go. UNLESS of course, you enjoy hours of working on it, spending your life savings on it, begging the wife for time and money for it. And the thrill that can only come from driving a jeep. wheither that is on the street, the mountains or the red rock. If you can deal with these things, your in for the hobby of a life time. I bought my first new in 1981, a cj5 sold it cause of car pooling, DUMB. bought a 76 cj7 that I ended up giving to the son in law when I bought a 83 cj7. moved out east after selling the 83 and I'm currently raising a 1989 wrangler 4.2 back from the dead.
As you can see I have never owned something that new so I can't help you with the technical thing. But,,, welcome to the crazy life. you'll love it. I just hope your wife is Jeep Crazy like mine.

I was reading something like this before. There is a plastic bushing thing that holds the linkage to the TC lever. Lay under the jeep, I'm sure you'll see it.
It's less then $1 at the dealer.

Back