zzzzzzzz sound from the engine

PKLgreenJeepZ

this just started 2 days ago when im driving higer than 10 mph i hear a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound from the engine. checked transmission fluid and oil not that maybe a vacume hose? it goes with the engine so when it revs it goes up and when it changes gears it cnanges with the engine if u know what i mean? help please :roll: [addsig]

sounds like the power steering pump. do the zzzzzzzzzzzz's frequency and pitch change when you turn the wheel?

make sure that the sound is not comming from your drivetrain by getting up to 35 or so and shift into neutral (carefully with an auto :-O ) and blip your throttle a couple of times.

if the noise increases with the throttle - it's in the engine

if the noise remains constant - it's in the drive train - or at least not in the engine.

sounds like the power steering pump, though. :roll: [addsig]

um i dunno it happens going streight i havent taken a turn at 30 lol, what in the engine would do that? . what will i have to do to the engine or drivetrain to fix it?
:-?

edited by: PKLgreenJeepZ, Mar 23, 2003 - 04:54 AM[addsig]

Sounds like a power steering pump. Check the fluid level, theres a full hot and full cold mark. Add fluid a little at a time or you be stealing the closest turkey baster to suck it out. [addsig]

that's why i rolled. . . :-O

sorry for the wreckless abandon advise. you can turn the wheel with the motor running at a stop (0mph) and the sound will change if it's the pump.

m[addsig]

it could also be any accessory... With someone holding the throttle at different levels... poke your noggin down in the engine bay and see where its coming from.... if it doesn't do it at rest, then its most likely the drive train. if it does do it at rest... then you can hear where its coming from....

use your sniffer too.... if you smell something wearing, then its probably around there...

check anything that spins... alternator, steering pump, water pump, idler pulley, basically anything in the line of the belt.

a ZZZZZZZZZ can be made from an exhaust leak as well. depending on the size, location, direction etc. of a leak, they can make a GREAT range of noises.

vacuum lines can often be a pain to follow... but check those too.

undo your oil cap... see if it gets louder... if it does... its most likely in the upper valve train.

all i can say after that, lets pray that its not inside the motor[addsig]

could be the transmission, they tend to make kind of a rubbing zzzz'ing noise as they go, specially in manuals, not sure what you've got, could just be a leaf in the fan :p [addsig]

well cant find a leaf. i have a automatic,unfortunetly. and the sound changes when it shifts so is it the transmission. it dosent do it when in N in the drive way. just when driving. :roll: :-? :-( [addsig]

did you rule-out the ps pump by listening to it with the motor running, transmission in park as you turn the steering wheel left and right?[addsig]

oooooh transmission problems are fun... NOPE!!!.... lets hope its something easier than an external bearing... and nothing tougher[addsig]

power steering pumps usually whine all the time, when they die: it may be your belt, the best way I have found to find a noise is to try letting some one else drive as you listen to the noise, this lets two things happen you can move around and try different things also someone has there eyes on the road, If it was a honda I would say to replace the fuel filter, dont ask why I dont know but that clears about 50% of thier noises. Sounds like it may be the altinator or a pully, tryu some belt skweek silencer they only cover up problems, but its propbaply the belt or pully bearing if it shuts up.[addsig]

with trans in neutral rev engine up as if you were at 10mph and see if its there. if not put in gear and power brake it and see if its there then. in neutral your eliminating the trans and by power braking your putting the trans in the equation. if its there in neutral check the alternator. by increasing the speed of the engine your increasing the alternator output. hope this helps[addsig]

in neutral... the transmission and the engine are still working together... but the transmission is not allowing output to the driveshaft... but since it only does it when in gear... we could be talking about some planetary gear problems, or some shift band problems... and... while under load... the torque converter could also be making some noise... chances are slim though... lets hope its nothing really bad.... but if it is.... there's no better time than now for an upgrade[addsig]

well hear it is . driving going along it gets louder with higher rpms. louder when going faster. i dont really seem to do it when in n . whats it sound like. oh and when going 40 and i let go of the gas and glide it just stops :roll: [addsig]

OK, my 2 cents/guesses...

Bad ground will cause a ZZZZZZ noise thru your radio that will change with RPM...

My initial reaction was to think: Dying Alternator...

[addsig]

Sounds like the transmission. Check the trans fluid. If it is a manual you got to get underneath to check it>[addsig]

PKLgreenJeepZ

where are we on this? so far, we've diagnosed just about every moving part of your rig. and all of the educated guesses sound valid.

can't wait to hear what it really was. :-? [addsig]

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's eh?

sleeping troll? :)

seriously, good luck finding it...[addsig]

Back