Engine shut off

Jfulton

I have a 74 cj5 with a 232. It has new distributor, cap and rotor, plugs and wires. Carb was just rebuilt. It turns over and drives fine as long as I am going a good speed. Siting at idle after a minute or two it starts to chug and shuts off. It smels like it is geting too much fuel. It restarts after a few minutes or I take off the air filter and open the choke and blow air into the intake. Any suggestions?

check all of your spark plug wires at the plugs and at the cap. Im my experience, when you put new wires on the older distributors they seem to take a while for the boots to stay on tight. If one has come loose it could do as you discribe. You say the carb was just rebuilt, probably not adjusted right. Do you have a vac gauge? Get one if not, about $20 at sears, lowes, or probably your local auto store. There should be a port on your carb or manifold somewhere that pulls constant vacum (dont know what carb you have). Hook your vac gauge there, You should have two idle screw on your carb, one on each side. turn them both all the way in until they just lightly bottom out, then bring them both out around 1-1 1/2 turn to start. Start the engine and lower you idle speed to about 650-700 rpms and observe the reading on the vac gauge, If it wont start, bring the both screws out another 1/2 turn and try to start again and repeat until it starts. Once it starts, you want to bring the screws, one side at a time in or out (in is lean=less gas. out is rich=more gas) to gain the highest vac reading you can get. bring one out and if the vac increases stop and bring the other screw out the same amount, and alternate back and fouth with the screws moving in or out the same amount, so say, if you bring one out 1-3/4 turn, you need to bring the other out the same. Once you get the highest vac reading you are done. typically not more than 2-1/2 turn out. Im guessing you will only need to turn them in a little to lean it out some. As your vacum increases so will your idle which is why you turn it down to start with. When your done you can reset the idle where you like it. I dont know what vac the 232 pulls at idle but I would think around 15-19". My 327 pulls 13-14 at idle.
It just dawned on me that maybe your idle speed is just set too low.
Hopfully others will chime in if I skiped anything.

Last edited:
Taping on bowl didnt do it. Just bought a timing light and vacume gague I will try that tomorrow.

If you do the carb adjustment, when you turn the screws, only turn them a hair at a time. 1/16" of an inch will probably make a dif on the vac gauge. MAKE SURE YOU TURN THE IDLE SPEED DOWN BEFORE YOU START. If the idle is too high when you start, your screws will have little affect.

Back