Dashcam for a Wrangler

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have suggestions for a dashcam that would be mounted in my TJ? I'm not looking for a suction cup / cigarette plug setup, but something that I'd mount permanently and have it look nice. I'd also like it to auto record whenever the Jeep is started.

I use a Blackview DR650 with just the one camera mounted behind the rearview mirror and really like it. The wire runs along the windshield and to the fuse box completely behind the trim. It turns on when I start the car and off when off so I never have to touch it and I know it's recording whenever I'm driving. I can post some pictures later.

IMG_1634.JPG it blends in a little bit better than the picture shows. The garage light is right above it illuminating it.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Here is a clip I downloaded from it the other day. You can turn the sound down if you want. :redface: Quality is better on the original file.

Is that G. Love? That's fine by me.

I was looking at the Garmin mini, it's $99 with a $30 hard wire cable (I don't want to do the cigarette lighter thing) and a $16 128GB card, so $145 all in.

Yours looks cool, and I like the idea of an integrated rear camera. Do you plan on hooking up the rear in the future?

I was looking at the Garmin mini, it's $99 with a $30 hard wire cable (I don't want to do the cigarette lighter thing) and a $16 128GB card, so $145 all in.

Yours looks cool, and I like the idea of an integrated rear camera. Do you plan on hooking up the rear in the future?

Yup, gotta love g love. I’d love to hook up a rear but would have to get creative to find a place to mount. Haven’t figured that out yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Consider the license plate bracket

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

I’d love to hook up a rear but would have to get creative to find a place to mount. Haven’t figured that out yet

I installed a back up camera on my wife's Corolla. It installed just above the license plate and gives a good view of what's behind her car. The mount is adjustable so you can fine tune just what you want to see.

Yeah, that's a good solution for a backup camera but what I meant was that these dash cams can have a front and a rear camera recording all the time. I don't think the camera is made to be mounted outside but rather mounted to the inside of the rear windshield. I would have to fab up some kind of mount to the roll bar so that it could see out the back with or without the rear window and with the top up or down.

I like the size of the Garmin and the price is right. Looks like it is $88 on Amazon with the wires. Robot Check
Mine is only the one channel model so I'd have to buy the two channel if I want the rear camera but I've considered it.

I don't think the camera is made to be mounted outside but rather mounted to the inside of the rear windshield.

I didn't realize that, I was thinking it was weatherproof and could be mounted the same way :redface:

You need this type and placement of camera.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Back