jeep models

Bonnte

as a new jeep enthusiast and a lover of the outdoor which model of the jeep would you recommend especially with regard to outdoor capabilities and general mechanical stability

Ha, if it says JEEP on it it's plenty capable. Could you be a bit more specific? Is it going to be used just as an off road trail rig? What kind of terrain? How many people you hauling? They've ALL got their strong points in all the different models.

If you are hauling a lot of people or gear, you may want to look at the cherekees. If your a top off, wind in your face kinda out door person, then I would look at the yj or tj,s as I think they are geared more twards the adventurist kind of out door person. Way more fun to drive as well. They are all more then capable of taking you where you want to go.

That's a pretty open question. For cool factor and car camping, an older Willys Wagon would fit the bill. A TJ Wrangler is great for offroading and top off driving, but your passenger capacity and hauling capacity is limited. Cherokees have more seating and gear storage capacity than a TJ, but their tops don't come off. Also, will the Jeep be a daily driver? That may come into play.

So figure out what you want to do, go watch people doing what you want to do, and see what kind of Jeep they are doing it in, and that will give you some good ideas. Most Jeep folks are pretty friendly and willing to answer questions if approached in a reasonable manner.

My family has had Willy's Wagons, Willy's Jeeps, CJs, TJs, Cherokees, and more, and every one of these Jeeps has had its own unique fun factor. All were good vehicles...I wish I could have them all. Looking back,the 63 Willys Wagon would have to be my favorite, but the current TJ is still pretty fun.

I think there is something to offer in just about every Jeep vehicle ever made. I have always respected the brand even way before I owned one. I'll tell ya what I like about my '79 CJ5. Because of the short wheelbase It can turn tight in the woods, I can take it down most ATV trails. It has the 304 V8 which again, since it's so small makes it feel peppy. I like to refur to it as kinda like a T bucket with locking hubs. It gets reasonable gas mileage, 14 MPG. Which aint bad for an old V8 4x4. It has a hardtop for the winter but from april to oct I keep the bikini top on it. This is probably the best thing about it to me. I love the open air feeling of driving it topless or with just the bikini top. It's just awesome! Now for the things I don't like... It rides rough, I think it has to do with the 4" spring lift it has. My son's '76 CJ5 with no lift rides good. Room, I'm a big guy and I had to notch the rear wheel tub to make room for the seat to go back far enough. I've got leg room now and I'm comfy driving it but it's a bit hard to get in and out of. All that said I do enjoy it, it is a multi purpose vehicle. I wheel it when I want and it is a daily driver.
I'm building an '81 Scrambler. It'll be a while before it's ready, I excited to see how well it performs. I'm sure you will find a Jeep that suits you. You did the right thing buy researching it, 'cause there are all different kinds of Jeeps.

Back