bump stops

jakbob

since im lifting my jeep, would i have to get new bumpstops or what? i was starting to spray all bolts with pb blaster and i noticed the bump stops, also, would they affect articulation?

You want to extend your bumpstops to avoid wearing the springs out prematurely. I use stacked hockey pucks in the front bolted to the lower spring cup. Most common in the rear is to weld an addition to the spring shackle plate to raise the bumpstop.

In my mind smaller lifts and smaller tires as compared to the guys running 35's and 6" of lift can use all the wheel travel they can get to get around obstacles and have good traction. I will agree that it will be harder on the springs, but personally I'll run that risk. With this mentality I normally run a tire size smaller than is suggested in relationship to lift height - 32's on 4" on my YJ and 31's on 4 1/4" on my XJ. I didn't have a problem with my YJ's BDS leaf spings but admittedly I have lost about 1/2" on the XJ's coils which may or may not have been from over flexing them.

That said, you will probably need to extend your front bumpstops some to avoid rubbing the flares with 31's, 3" of lift, and wheels with 4" of backspacing... or you could trim or relocate (cutting sheetmetal) the flares but I'd just go ahead and do the bumpstops because if you don't you'll have to pull the coils again (to install the stops) if/when you realize you need them.

wait and put the lift on first. take it out and flex it out real good and then see if you need longer bumpstops (and then you can also figure out exactly how long they need to be)

88Wrangles said:
wait and put the lift on first. take it out and flex it out real good and then see if you need longer bumpstops (and then you can also figure out exactly how long they need to be)

I know that sounds good and all, but I'd rather just put new ones in while you got it torn apart. To put in new bumpstops on my 1990 requires taking everything apart again, because the spring has to come out to get to it.
Unless his is different, that is just like doing the front lift all over again.

90Xjay said:
I know that sounds good and all, but I'd rather just put new ones in while you got it torn apart. To put in new bumpstops on my 1990 requires taking everything apart again, because the spring has to come out to get to it.
yeah thats how it is in my xj,

TwistedCopper said:
That said, you will probably need to extend your front bumpstops some to avoid rubbing the flares with 31's, 3" of lift, and wheels with 4" of backspacing... or you could trim or relocate (cutting sheetmetal) the flares but I'd just go ahead and do the bumpstops because if you don't you'll have to pull the coils again (to install the stops) if/when you realize you need them.

i've already taken off the fender flares and plane to cut about one inch off, maybe more if i need it...

also, it it possible to cut the existing bumpstops shorter? i was looking and it seemed possible but i want to know if anyone had done that...just wondering if i might need to buy rustys adjustible bump stops....

90Xjay said:

Yep, that's true if you use the stock ones that are in the coils. Why not fab up some new ones and put them on the frame or somewhere that they come into contact with the axle housing instead?

When I did my list I just left them off, and I havent had any problems/ then again it was only a 2 inch lift

88Wrangles said:
Yep, that's true if you use the stock ones that are in the coils. Why not fab up some new ones and put them on the frame or somewhere that they come into contact with the axle housing instead?

because i cant weld...

TwistedCopper said:
Sure you could... but why?
because at the time of the post, i thought maybe it would allow more flex...but now that i think about it, it doesnt make sense to me...i'll keep em cause i dont wanna damage my fenders....that much!

Back