97 xj help

outlawrepoman70

i have a stock 97 xj sport 4.0 that i recently took to a reputable mechanic.the problem im having is when i try to accelerate usually passing or going uphill it will start to die out like it isnt getting fuel.my mechanic said it was the PCM so that was replaced with a brand new one then taken to the jeep dealer to have the thing reset.It ran good for a little while (6 hours)i then filled the fuel tank and it started running poor again and the check engine light is back on.IM really upset i cant figure this problem out.I am going to take it back to my mechanic but i was wondering if anybody had any suggestions? PLEASE HELP.

first off welcome to Jeeps.com...your best bet is to run over to your local Auto-zone/pep-boys/napa and have them throw their OBC II scanner on your jeep and they will tell you what sensor, or component is giving you the check engine light. Then you could buy the part and install it your self or have your mechanic fix it for you.

since you already replaced the computer it sounds like a fuel pump problem i just had the same symptoms in my 98 wrangler after i banged the fuel tank hard off a boulder. my mechanic ripped it apart and the fuel pump was destroyed. i replaced the pump and its been running good since

p.s. of course i needed a new tank to

thanks it does sound like a fuel pump problem to me also, i was going to change it before i took it to my mechanic but i figured id let him figure it out. now ive got a $500.00 pcm.

It could be any number of sensors, it is important to check the trouble code with an OBDII scanner so you know where to look.

Having a bad pcm is pretty rare, smells fishy to me.

Back