New Jeep owner and arleady problems

snow4life12

Hey, i have a 89 jeep Cherokee, 2 wd, i know im not happy about that either but i got a great deal on it. First car, it is 4.0L inline 6. 165K.
The second day with it, it died 3 times in row at stop signs. Thought it is an old car, some quirks with no gas. No biggie. But then todayafter filling up it died again. From then on, 5 miles, it was like dying while i was driving it. I would gas it would be ok. Then i pulled into a neighborhood road and tried to gas it, but everyhting locked up. Brake steering, gas, everything. Pulled over, started back up and drove home with it ideling rough the whole dying again.
The oil guage and temp gauage were fine, but the battery gauge was right on the red. it goes from 9-19, it was on 9. Battery was replaced before i got it.

I was thinkinhg electrical. But i also haven't had a tune up on it. Maybe that?

what do you think? Im only 16, not experienced with cars.

Today i took it to our mechanic, he said he believes it is the ideal spped control thing. He said he needed to have it and take a more in depth look to know for sure.
Anyone do any work on this. Know how much it is going to cost me?

Have him give you a list and an estimate first....post it here and somone will tell you if its fair...then go from there.

Well sorry it took so long. I have taken it to my mechanic. It was there like a week because something with my computer and not giving him the codes, so it was kinda of a guess and check sitution. He figured out that it was the map sensor, which tells the engine how much fuel to put in, he said. Ended up costing $74 for the part and $75 for the labor.
Runs fine now.

Well sorry it took so long. I have taken it to my mechanic. It was there like a week because something with my computer and not giving him the codes, so it was kinda of a guess and check situation. He figured out that it was the map sensor, which tells the engine how much fuel to put in, he said. Ended up costing $74 for the part and $75 for the labor.
Runs fine now.

Back