03 Jeep Liberty axle problem

Kaide

So I was replacing the wheel hub on my 03 liberty when I accidently stripped the threads trying to remove the axle nut, leading me to have replace the entire passenger side axle. The new axle comes and I go to install it but it will not seat all the way in. The axle and the axle rod are two separate parts on my jeep and I know for sure the axle rod is seated all the way into the transmission, but the axle itself will not seat all the way onto the axle rod. I looked on the driver's side and there is a 1/4 inch gap between the axle and the frame, but on the new axle I am trying to install there is a 1/2 inch gap, and no amount of hitting it with the rubber mallet will make it go in any further. I also know the new axle is the same as the old one because I compared the two and measured the depths of the socket the axle rod goes into. I have removed and tried to reinstall it multiple times with the same outcome. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

If you mean on the knuckle side, try jacking up the knuckle. Turn the wheel slightly left to right and back..

Or do you mean to the inner mid shaft?
Do you have it backwards?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Thank you for replying, but I think I figured it out. I'll know tomorrow when I put the wheel hub back in

Back