360 swap

reborngarcia

I am new to the whole jeep thing but I would like to know if I can swap a 5.9 motor into my 97 zj and still keep the 42re trans that is in it now. I was told from someone that it will bolt up. But I would like to know if anyone out there has done this and what it is going to take to do this.

i guess this is not a common swap because no one has said anything about it yet???

ok then what will i need to do this swap i have been looking for this write up. can i take any 360 motor and just find a wiring harness and all the sensor?

If you plan on getting the engine from a salvage yard, look for the similar year or close to, check the transmission from the donor vehicle and see which transmission it has. The ideal find would be the ones that matches your transmission, with this, you can get the engine, wiring harness and the matching PCM.

ok so it is a swap that can be done. i know that i am going to have to get the harness and pcm from the same year and car i got the motor from. what other major big parts may i need.if i do this swap i will be taking a whole lot of pics and posting then all up for others to see.

I would carefully look into the donor vehicles engine compartment electrical components like the power distribution center(Fuse box) , take note of what you currently have Vs. the donor vehicle. It may have an extra set of relays and or fuses thats not on your current Jeep.. I really dont know what else tyo look for other that the ones previously mentioned. Food for thought before i forget. After swapping a PCM from one vehicle to another, an SES lamp might illuminate for at least 2 DTC's. Vin Configuration mismatch and an incorrect odometer from the BCM. This 2 DTC's can be corrected by the use of a DRB3 (Chrysler scantool) so don't worry too much about those DTC when they pop up.

Back