OIL...or lack of...

red89yj

yeah, so im adjusting my new carb, which im about 87% sure that its as good as its gonna get... but as im doing it, i notice some oil seaping out of the oil fill on the valve cover... what causes this? my gut tells me its just a loose cap (which is pretty loose for something with a gasket on it), but i think you will all agree that when it comes to a jeep, it usually isnt that simple; then again, hopefully this time it is. Any ideas or direction?

Rich

Rich, Go pick up a new oil fill cap w/ gasket.
I had the same problem due to the old gasket being shot

Rich

one more thing; i also noticed stinky vapor coming out of the line for the dipstick, even with it pushed down all the way. my oil is jet black and i think it needs to be changed, but thats the least of my problems... i want to take care of keeping the oil in before i change it. any ideas?

Your crankcase is building pressure and it's normal route to vent (PCV) is not working properly, causing the fume/oil seepage at the dipstick and valve cover. Check the PCV valve to make sure it rattles, and make sure all the vacuum hoses are working correctly, that none are dryrotted or collapsed. Check the orifice in the tube going from the airfilter to the valve cover, it'll look like a plastic splice. Clean the small hole inside with a straightened paper clip.

When the PCV is working correctly the crankcase fumes will go through the PCV valve and be burnt after entering the intake manifold. The valve cover draws fresh air from the tube running to the airbox.

Code 43..what is it?

It's either what Bounty_Hunter said, or your piston rings are shot.

Nothin' spells oil leak quite like old, dirty, thinned out oil! When you fix the leak, keep clean oil in there, it will help prevent leaks, among many other problems.

The pcv isnt hooked up. i just finished installing the motorcraft and i cant find a manifold vacuum source suitable enough for the pcv. I tried splicing it into the brake booster vacuum line, but the jeep started to stall once i pressed on the brake to shift. I tried putting it on the back inlet below the aircleaner, but that isnt generating the vacuum thats needed...

Back