Your Favorite All Time Jeep Photos

what are those ladder looking things that are in the jeeps?

_Toby2005-1.jpg

In this photo, the LRDG and their Jeeps and the "things sticking up" are twin .30 caliber Bofors aircraft machine guns, mounted on the passenger side. In the center between the seats out of view, is one 60MM Browning Recoilless Rifle Cannon from a B-17 Bomber.

In each photo, you notice a single Bofors sticking up also. That was a single machine gun of the same make for the rear shooter to use for any pursuers that may try to follow, after a shoot and loot.
Robert

The LRDG did use Bofors but they are 37mm anti tank guns, commonly mounted on the back of heavy trucks. The guns in the picture that look like a "ladder" in front of the jeep passenger seat are (VGO) or Vickers K machine guns mounted in pairs. .303 British cal. Originally made for use in airplanes, adjustable firing rate from 950-1200 rpm. They were used by the RAF until the Browning 1919 became standard issue for airplanes. Then the Vickers K were redistributed to other infantry groups. The LRDG liked them because the high rate of fire, light weight, and almost never jammed due to sand or dirt.

Last edited:
Cpl photos of spring in my area, bring on summer !!

Attachments

• image-1187848321.png
    image-1187848321.png
    955.9 KB · Views: 508
  • image-1820012986.png
    image-1820012986.png
    854.3 KB · Views: 510
Here's a few of ol' blue when I 1st got her muddy & now that she's all grown up...
jeep_mud_1-1.jpg

after_Highbridge-1.jpg

Last edited:

absolutely not.. I hate cliffs like that!.. I won't even ride the donkeys down the grand canyon...

Mikekaz1 said:
Hey what high lift mount are you using? And could you post a pic of it if possible. Thanks!

I bought it at Canadian tire, it's a motomaster 3ton

Attachments

• image-2728285996.png
    image-2728285996.png
    870.6 KB · Views: 425

Or sorry I read that fast, the way I mounted it was just to the existing spare tire mount, and I used lug nuts and a bike lock to secure it. Works just dandy!

Midnightsecurity said:
Or sorry I read that fast, the way I mounted it was just to the existing spare tire mount, and I used lug nuts and a bike lock to secure it. Works just dandy!

Yeah that's genius! And virtually costless

Ya very inexpensive lol I do have a spare that rides on my roof when I go out wheeling, but living in a small town I don't have the need to carry one all the time.

ScubaDude said:
And yet you take a high lift with you everywhere?

I would opt fir tire, before a high lift

High lifts are very versatile. There not just for jacking. I can see the use of having one over a spare tire

In a small town?

Well okay I was just curious I really don't know anything jeep

Just an education question

Ya in a small town, where I've lived my entire life, if I get a flat a friends just a phone call away and a 2 min drive. I've used my high lift opposed to my spare at about a 50:1 ratio

I use it more for getting my friends outta trouble then myself lmao cause jeeps don't get stuck...they either get High centered or the motors stop;-p at least that's my theory haha

Midnightsecurity said:
I use it more for getting my friends outta trouble then myself lmao cause jeeps don't get stuck...they either get High centered or the motors stop;-p at least that's my theory haha

Hahaha. True that.

So true. As well, after 46 years of these, I also blame a lot of things; people, climate, location, foreign government rules, environment, etc. With that, I've noticed over the years I'v become more and more faultless in all ways and areas. Almost genius in my abilities and my Jeep's abilities as well. Almost a legend.......................in my own mind.......Tragic.

So sad....

Robert

So true. As well, after 46 years of these, I also blame a lot of things; people, climate, location, foreign government rules, environment, etc. With that, I've noticed over the years I'v become more and more faultless in all ways and areas. Almost genius in my abilities and my Jeep's abilities as well. Almost a legend.......................in my own mind.......Tragic.

So sad....

Robert
I disagree about it being tragic and sad, we're not getting old,just well seasoned. If we dont think the best about ourselves,who else is going to do it for us? I am better then no one, nor is there one better then I. Even if it is in our own mind,what is wrong with that, as long as your content with yourself. It bothered me a little at first when the eyes started getting a little blurry and I needed glasses, but the good thing about it,is without them ,even the ugly girls are looking pretty good. Today I walk with pride and confidence,and never ,never,put the glasses on the next mourning till the lady friend has left.

This is quite wise. Never put them on till you're alone. Very wise.

On another note, was checking my other set of tire chains and ran them yesterday out in the desert and was ask why I would do this by a fella in town here. I answered, it gives more traction, and with one end locked up, it changes the whole dynamic. I do not think he understood. That is ok. He wishes to go with me next trip down to the border, in the desert reach. Good.

image-missing.png

This has nothing to do with us being "legends" but is still good somehow.

Robert

Back