light wiring

jeepmaster

tonight i recieved a pair of headlight strobes from a friend. i would like to install them to a switch in my jeep and use them during poor weather (heavy snow etc) for better visibility. however i cannot figure out how to wire these things. i got a switch and ive got 15 feet of wire but i havent succeeded in doing it yet. i wired the strobe to the switch, then a ground to the switch now i need a constant source of power. i did a test with the battery as my source to see if things would work and they didnt. does anyone have maybe a diagram of what im sposed to do? i looked for half an hour on the internet but all the install instructions were like "wire positive to positive and then hook it up to the switch." but i dont know how to do that switch. then i tried dingus's site cause i know at one point he had neon windshield sprayer tech install instructions for his honda but thats not on there anymore so please someone help me![addsig]

wire the switch straight off the battery, and don't forget an inline fuse. Probably not the best way but has always worked for me without any problems.[addsig]

so positive off battery to positive on switch and negative on battery to negative on switch with fuse inbetween, then strobe wired off of switch?[addsig]

Note:
When installing something that draws a lot of power (Especially spot or fog lights) you will need a relay, correct size fuse and proper size wire, if not it's probable you will have electrical failure, short or fire. [addsig]

I'm not sure if your "Strobes" are actually "Spot Lights", But here is the wirIng diagram most likely for that application. You are going to need a relay. Sold most every auto and electrical supply.

Go to this page for the KC Hilites instructions.
http://www.kchilites.com/instructions/4-PoleRelayDiagram.pdf

If that doesn't help try this site (Look under Electrical and then Lights)
http://www3.telus.net/cbradley/4x4links.html#electrical

And if all else fails, try using "Google Search Engine"
www.google.com

and type in "KCHILITES witing diagram" or "OFFROAD LIGHTS WIRING DIAGRAM" or just be creative.[addsig]

I am not real sure here but to use the strobe you may need a flasher relay of some sort to get the flashing effect for the bulbs. Just a guess. tug[addsig]

Hey MORGSTER,
I installed 6" spots on my windshield hinges and didn't use a relay... I did wire them right to the battery with an inline fuse though... I don't even know what a relay is for... should I put it in? If so where? Buy the way jeepmaster, you could wire them to the battery or the power fuse. If you wire them to the fuse the lights will shut off with the jeep, if to the battery just remember to shut them off!![addsig]

It is a good if not a necessary idea.
Most auto parts stores sell a 4 pole 40 amp relay. About $6 to $10
You run the power from it's source through the relay to the lights. The switch just turns the relay on and off. This keeps the high power draw away from the switch.
It also allows you to get the main power from another source like the headlights.
Using the headlight circuit is a safe way to keep the spot, flood of fog lights from accidently being left on without the headlights being on. (Those puppies get so hot they will melt any covers and start a fire)
The fuse is there in the case of a short or power overload to eliminate melt down of the wiring. [addsig]

You need the power supply box that powers the strobes, and gives the flashes. Better check State law before using them on the road, they're illegal here and most States.[addsig]

Automotive Electrical, My specialty. Yes you will need a relay and NO you do not go off your battery. Depanding on the relay you buy, it should have 5 terminals for 5 wires.
1. One should be what is called T tapped into your parking light circut off your head light switch
2. One should be attached to either a ignition or a contant voltage source under your dash (depends if you want them to work with the ignition on or off)
3. one will go to a switch and then to the strobes themselves
4. on gets grounded to metal (clean)
5. One gets put to a constant voltage source under the dash.

The reason for the relay is
1 protects the factory wiring from serges that could damage the ECU or BCM (depending on your jeep)
2. Increases the "voltage and amperage" that that particular circut throws.
if you give me the year of your jeep and the make, I can get you the wire colors and exact location.
Strobes are illegal except for emergence vehicles and plow vehicles here in massachusetts[addsig]

jps4jeeps.
Finnaly information from a professional. Thanks.
Knowing Strobe Lights are used for emergency vehicles and aircraft I had assumed jeepmaster had a spot type light named Strobes (I also know not to assume. My Bad)
I have installed several lights on Jeeps using the 4 pole relays described in the KC and most other brands instructions, and 5 pole relays just using 4 of the poles for other applications.
Questions.
Is a 5 pole not 4 needed in spot, running or fog applications?
Or is it special to Strobe Lighting?
In your post #3 says to run to through the switch and directly to the strobes, wouldn't that stress the switch?
Is the relay designed to protect the power source or the switch?
#2 says to get power from a constant voltage source under the dash and #5 says the same, Is there a reason for having the same power sorce on both?
And finally.
Where would you put the fuse, before or after the relay?
or after the switch?
Or none at all?
Thanks again for the help.

edited by: MORGSTER, Mar 06, 2003 - 09:35 AM[addsig]

Unfortunatly Morgster, I made a critical erroe in my typing, The numbers do not correspond to any wire in particular, rather just listing the wires. Most after-market relays are made a company called Bosch, you probably have heard of them, they make alot of different products (spark plugs). As for 4 pole and 5 pole, They are both used in automotive applications, the wire that is eliminated in the 4 pole would be the wire that allows for a switch (even though it is not connected to that. 4 poles are wired a little different. relays are also wire different if the parking light cicut in the car is a negative trigger and not positive (need not worry, not sure about the liberty, but all other jeeps are a positive trigger)
As for the poles, they are numbered as follows: 30, 87a, 87, 86, 85. PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE ME 100%, IT HAS BEEN ABOUT TWO YEARS SINCE I WAS A MECP INSTALLR AND I MAY HAVE SOMETHING BACKWARDS< CHECK THE DIRECTIONS! 87a is the wire that goes to Ground. This is the wire that is not present on the 4 pole setup. I also believe it is the wire that is in the center of the relay. 87 would go to the strobe via a switch, 86 would go to a constant, and 30 would either be constant, or ignition, depending on if you want the relay to power up with the ignition or all the time. and 85 would go to the park lights circut (so the strobes would only work with the park lights on. I am getting confused try to remember this stuff, but if you have the instructions, use them![addsig]

jps4jeep.
Thanks for the honest response.
I guess the best info is to find the wiring diagram designed fot the lights you are going to install and wire away.
[addsig]

SUCESS AT LAST!! ok i know i said i quit, but i decided to give it one last shot, and by pure luck discovered that the switches positive and negative terminals were mislabeled. i just switch the wires across and BAM, blinding flash of strobe. it was a sweeet moment. thanks for all the help, things are so much easier when people LABEL THINGS RIGHT!!!!! [addsig]

Back