Need some help with some decisions

Dan9

Hey everyone, have a couple questions for you. First, I am planning to do a lift soon. I really want 32" tires might be able to settle on 31s if it would save a lot of money (only got crappy 29s now). What would be the most cost efficient and quality way to do it? I am going to be doing some off roading so im looking for something that isnt going to rub. im guessing the suggestion will be a 3" lift. would a 2" lift with 32s be a problem? if i did 32s is there anything else i would have to alter or is it pretty much the same as the 31s? Break line, new tire carrier, anything else? im guessing i would need a t-case lift. i guess i am basically looking for suggestions on what you would do if you wanted 32s and were a broke college student.
Second, at the risk of sounding dumb, im looking to get a winch. as stated, i dont have a ton of money to be spending. i was thinking about it and would a 3000 lb winch work? i know jeeps weigh more than that, not sure on an actual weight, but since they are on wheels and id be on the gas, would it work? i found a cheap 3000lb winch for 70 bucks. i also found an 8000lb for 300 and a 9000lb for 375. if its a no go on the 3000lb, is the extra $75 worth it to get the 9000? sorry for the post, just really excited about getting my jeep to be the way i want it to be. hopefully this summer! THANKS for any help!

I've wheeled with 31s on a stock TJ. It works, but isn't ideal. A 2" lift will be fine for 31s (this is what I have now).

For 32s on the cheap, you can go with a 2" lift and a 1" body lift.

When you move up to 4" of lift, it gets more expensive.

u can go 2 motors ebay in bye a 1 - 3" body lift for like 120.00 with like 10.00 shipn or u can get a 2"/5 coil spring spacers 4 about the same price both of them are pretty easy to put on if u no what your doing only bad thang with the coil spring spacers u have 2 have the rght tool becus the spring could fly off in hint u. but me in my budy did both on his 02 jeep tj with out the rght tool 4 the coil springs in it was kinda scary but we got it done

u can go 2 motors ebay in bye a 1 - 3" body lift for like 120.00 with like 10.00 shipn

I'd be careful going over 1" of body lift - it places alot of stress on the body mounts and can end up being dangerous.

pretty easy to put on if u no what your doing only bad thang with the coil spring spacers u have 2 have the rght tool becus the spring could fly off in hint u. but me in my budy did both on his 02 jeep tj with out the rght tool 4 the coil springs in it was kinda scary but we got it done

I've never compressed the coil springs before but I've heard horror stories of the springs slipping and really hurting people. I prefer to just drop the axle down. You can see my writeup here:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/suspensi...alling-rubicon-express-2-coil-spacer-kit.html

hey thanks so far guys. just a ridiculous coincidence, i was looking on craigslist a few minutes ago, and ive never seen a lift on there before. clicked on the page, and about 10 minutes from my house, i see jeep wrangler 3" lift kit with shocks- $450. it turns out it is a "full traction" lift. it comes with 4 bilstein shocks. it was used for 6 months, 4000 miles. i dont know much about the full traction brand or bilstein shocks. the lift with shocks costs about 800 bucks new. good deal, not a good deal? worth it, not worth it? again thanks guys. heres the link to the lift on quadratec,
Full Traction 3" Economy Suspension Kit for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

Best bang for the buck for you sounds like a 2" coil spacer kit (commonly called a budget boost). 4 shocks and spacers is about all you need.

You generally don't need a transfer case drop at 2", and you may need cam bolts for the axle end of the front lower control arms, so you can adjust your caster all the way out. This will correct caster and prevent vibes from a poor pinion angle. That's generally how I set up TJ's with a budget boost.

2" spacers and 32" tires are fine on a TJ.

cant wait to do it. my original plan was the 2" budget boost from rubicon express. you dont think, there will be a problem wheelin with a 2" lift and 32s? even when i disconnect the sway bar? what about the used one? any thoughts? thanks for the quick responses, really appreciate it. i will definately post pics, just dont expect it for a while, 600 bucks for tires and another 500 for wheels, plus whatever the lift will cost, takes a long time to save especially with monthly payments, insurance, and a just above minimum wage job. thanks guys, im pumped to do this!

ive got a 2" BB and shocks along with 32's and it works just fine. The only thing you will have to watch out for is if you go with too wide of a tire you will rub with stock rims. You can either change your steering stops or go with a rim with a backspacing.

hi i just bought a stock 99 tj and put 31 bfg's. I find that there is some slight rubbing on tight turns. I talked to a local lift shop and he advised me to put the 2 inch full suspension lift (coils and shocks) instead of just the shocks and spacers. He told me since my jeep had 100,000 miles that the original springs are probably ready to repace anyway and that the new springs would get me another half inch. I am booked for monday to do it so i will try to post a pic so you can see what it looks like....scott

thanks scott, that would be awesome, id really appreciate it. any opinion one way or the other on the used 3 in lift?

Hey Dan... I think the price on the used 3 inch is good considering a new one is probably double that. My only concern would be that the parts are indeed in good shape unless you know how much wheeling the owner has done on them and you probably wouldnt have any warrenty with it so it might be a bit of a gamble but the other hand is you get into a lift without shelling out a whole bunch. I am excited to see how mine turns out and the guy said that with the 2.5 lift on mine i will be able to accomodate 32" without a problem. I bought the 31" tires cause they were brand new already mounted on jeep rims with only 500 miles on them for 600 on craigslist . I couldnt pass them up the dealer here wanted 975 just for the tires...I will keep u posted and hopefully have a pic on here next week... scott

Personally I would settle for the 2" BB new over a used 3" lift. It may be a great deal but you don't know the history behind it. Why is he selling it?: Did he get a new lift? Was his Jeep wreaked and he's just selling it for cash? It is a buyer beware kinda thing. If you buy new you get that 1-800 number you can call when you get frustrated and there is that warrenty.

Best bang for the buck for you sounds like a 2" coil spacer kit (commonly called a budget boost). 4 shocks and spacers is about all you need.

You generally don't need a transfer case drop at 2", and you may need cam bolts for the axle end of the front lower control arms, so you can adjust your caster all the way out. This will correct caster and prevent vibes from a poor pinion angle. That's generally how I set up TJ's with a budget boost.

2" spacers and 32" tires are fine on a TJ.

you dont have to replace the shocks

hey thanks so far guys. just a ridiculous coincidence, i was looking on craigslist a few minutes ago, and ive never seen a lift on there before. clicked on the page, and about 10 minutes from my house, i see jeep wrangler 3" lift kit with shocks- $450. it turns out it is a "full traction" lift. it comes with 4 bilstein shocks. it was used for 6 months, 4000 miles. i dont know much about the full traction brand or bilstein shocks. the lift with shocks costs about 800 bucks new. good deal, not a good deal? worth it, not worth it? again thanks guys. heres the link to the lift on quadratec,
Full Traction 3" Economy Suspension Kit for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

hay i would just do my idea cus i did it on my budys tj and he cleard 33 perfect and kept the same stock shocks and it steel flixd alot i can send you a pic if u wanted

my .02 for your situation on the cheap

Get a 2" BB for around $200

Used Rubi springs $50 for the set of 4 (no real "lift" but it will replace your old and sagging ones so you 2" lift is correct and on the cheap)

32's on your stock wheels (assuming the are the 8" wide alloys) and adjust your steering stop bolts so they dont rub on anything on a full lock turn. Or just look for Rubicon 31" MTR take offs on craigslist if you want to be even more thrifty.

A good friend of mine runs this set up and does very well on it while he is saving for the next stage

hey, wow thanks for all the help guys. so, i think m going to go with: TJ/LJ 2" BUDGET SPACER SYSTEM
still not sure on the tire size though. im also gonna pick up a pair of sway bar disconnects. you dont think there will be rubbing on the fenders? im getting new wheels, probably these:http://www.dpgoffroad.com/images/eaglealloys/185.jpg do i have to buy spacers or anything else? again thanks for all the suggestions!

there is a few different budget boost.Some come with shocks and spacers some are only the spacers.

Back