New and full of questions

Ruf-Rdr

Hello everyone im looking for some good answers befor i drop a boat load of money on my jeep..... :lol: I own a 95 Yj 4.0 5 spd Plans in motion to add B&m short throw shifter, Accel coil, Banks Headers pipe, 2.25 pipe with thrush welded 3' Rough country lift, 1 1/2 wheel spacers, steering bar Airaid throttle body spacer, Bosch iridium plugs, Flow Master catalytic converter, and smitty Built winch.... i think thats about it, i have a pimp my ride setting lined up with my mechanic buddies we are going to install all this in 48 hrs buy our estimate, any comments or info would be appreciated Have any bad experiences, any pointers to make everything smoother, or any good ideas on how to make a good snorkel tube, i think i got a good box design going but i dont think ill have it done buy the time all the other Mods are being done thanks for your time and input Mat

Whoa! What do you plan to do with this jeep, daily driver, mud, rocks, dunes, trailer queen, other? From the sounds of things, it would appear you are trying to build a hot rod, not an off road vehicle. Knowing what your intentions are will help the BB members pass on more relevant information.

hot rod

:shades: well im a fast driving kind of guy but really i like a capable vehicle mostly to be truthful all the parts im getting are the most reasonable priced i could find dosnt hurt i work at a parts store. i plan maybe to hit some mud trails and push some snow later plans include a stroker rebuild on the motor and some drive train after market parts probably. the motor i would like to build could hopefully handle about 20 lbs of boost or a 150 shot of nos just for some added fun if i wanted to go that direction. Thanks for the imput MAt

ok, you have a bit of a heavy foot. buy a sports car. Buying reasonably priced parts are not always what makes the right jeep.

i wouldn't put nitrous on a jeep if you get stuck you would be tempted to use it then you will break something.

A Jeep is NOT the choice for fast driving. High center of gravity, solid axles etc.

If you want fast, get a Porsche Cayenne.

If you want a very off-road capable, mechanically simple, highly personalizable vehicle, then get the Jeep.

........yeah, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. sounds like you've got a good base for a real nice trail rig, though.

Whoa.... I think the winch is a great idea... and you might as well stroke the 4.0 when you HAVE TO rebuild. There is no real point in trying to squeek power out of a 4L. Drop in a SBC or even better a SBF if you're wanting the HP.

Hello everyone im looking for some good answers befor i drop a boat load of money on my jeep..... :lol: I own a 95 Yj 4.0 5 spd Plans in motion to add B&m short throw shifter, Accel coil, Banks Headers pipe, 2.25 pipe with thrush welded 3' Rough country lift, 1 1/2 wheel spacers, steering bar Airaid throttle body spacer, Bosch iridium plugs, Flow Master catalytic converter, and smitty Built winch.... i think thats about it, i have a pimp my ride setting lined up with my mechanic buddies we are going to install all this in 48 hrs buy our estimate, any comments or info would be appreciated Have any bad experiences, any pointers to make everything smoother, or any good ideas on how to make a good snorkel tube, i think i got a good box design going but i dont think ill have it done buy the time all the other Mods are being done thanks for your time and input Mat

Sounds good but ONE THING . . . . I would pull those wheel spacers and chuck them off into the scrap bin ASAP. If the studs aren't backing out, the dang things are cracking on you. I ran a set out here on the desert and it was a constant battle with them, mine were 1" spacers and they really sucked.

Well though id get more support, far as fast i seen a datsun out run a sbc and a ford. Power is no good unless you can put it to the ground and keep the tires from spining. Far as getting power out of a 4.0 try jeeps last issue 695 horse power at the crank that some big numbers. I dont want to go 140 mph i just like getting of the line good, as for a sports car i have had plenty of fast cars. None of them could push snow or pull a trailer, jeeps are unique vehicles you can build them to do just about anything, crawl over rocks, up trees, drag race on snow, mud or ice it just depends on how you want to build it. My uncle had the first jeep i was ever around we dropped in a 350 from a circle dirt track car. It had no lift, just headers and duals. As far as roll over rate goes i have owned 2 broncos a full size and a bronco II. The little bronco II was a blast, it would out run a 3.8 firebird and do three wheel motion around turns at 65. I am aware how easy a jeep can roll thats why i figured when i went higher i would also get wider. This jeep is eventually going to be my RV tow behind vehicle it has to be reliable, easy to fix and not drink gas like it was 90 cents a gallon again. I have seen to many people swapping out there jeep motors for what they think are better power alternatives i work in an Auto parts store im aware of how much a pain these simple swaps can become. I sell parts to a guys who do swaps like putting a 3.8 supercharged from a pontiac in his jeep, yeah fast but what a money pit. Start with a new trans, new front and rear dif, new custom made computer wow. Im more traditional (and cheap) the inline six is a bullet proof in my eyes motor, how can you make it better what you have already. Everyone has an angle and this is the approach im trying to pan out. Just wondered if anyone had any input? About the parts im using also did i mention that everything on the list will only be costing me 1600.00. Thats a cheap toy by my standards what the worst that could happen, seeing how i only paid 4000.00 for the jeep to start with (I guess worse case id have a 4000.00 jeep). New Note If anyone has experience with the stroker rebuild of a 4.0 hit me up its a ways off, but i like to do plenty of research before i make any buying decisions. ( which kits have been used, is the 4.2 crank up to the abuse?) The way i see it the stock motor will run near 200,000 miles like clock work ( mostly). I dont see why making an extra 90 or 100 horses even, would keep the new rebuild from reaching in the 100,000 reliable miles range. Im not really planning on doing NOS it will be near impossible to get soon anyways, since it eats hole in the ozone worse then any cfc's ever did. As for turbos they are to finicky (and expensive) in real dirt situation's in my opinion i just figure if i build the motor tough enough for those standards it will have no problem running smooth for a long time. Thanks for all the comments and input Anyone have any ideas for a rear bumper that can hold up about 500 lbs reliable I would like to put a rack/bumper for my Ulysses ( big dual sport bike) on the back. Thanks alot everyone who replied Mat ( New Version)

Last edited:
Sorry guys i leave my commas and periods on my essays for class. Ill try to make things more eye friendly from now on. Nice jeep Mudfeet right now my jeep is my only ride as well (until the snow melts) my old lady stole the Monty and i sold my K1500 to buy a bus. Are you using a special bracket to hold on your high lift jack? If so where did you purchase it if i might ask, I am building a bumper soon and need to locate some tuff brackets.

........Are you using a special bracket to hold on your high lift jack? If so where did you purchase it if i might ask, I am building a bumper soon and need to locate some tuff brackets.

Yeah, I bought the bracket when I bought the high-lift. It's a pretty common bracket. However, after having that thing mounted there for quite a while, I would not recommend that location for mounting a high-lift jack. If you're stuck in a deep mud hole (how would I know that???:lol:), then your jack is also sunk in the mud. You can use the search feature on the site and find lots better options.

Wew…. You’ve described at least 3 different jeep set ups with what you say you want to do with this rig. I’m a “to each their own” kind of guy but maybe it would be best if you do yourself and the rest of us a favor and sell the jeep; I’m fairly sure most of us don’t want to be out wheeling only to have to contend with the trail destruction aftermath left behind by someone going 80mph in the mud. Remember, just because you can doesn’t always mean you should…..

Sorry guys i leave my commas and periods on my essays for class. Ill try to make things more eye friendly from now on. Nice jeep Mudfeet right now my jeep is my only ride as well (until the snow melts) my old lady stole the Monty and i sold my K1500 to buy a bus. Are you using a special bracket to hold on your high lift jack? If so where did you purchase it if i might ask, I am building a bumper soon and need to locate some tuff brackets.

Did you buy a short bus? Your plans sound like a "swiss army jeep." You'll end up building a jeep to do everything and in the end it will do nothing well. If you're a savy enough fabricator to build a bumper, you should be able to come up with the 2 bolts and 2 wingnuts required to mount your jack.... :roll:

Wew…. You’ve described at least 3 different jeep set ups with what you say you want to do with this rig. I’m a “to each their own” kind of guy but maybe it would be best if you do yourself and the rest of us a favor and sell the jeep; I’m fairly sure most of us don’t want to be out wheeling only to have to contend with the trail destruction aftermath left behind by someone going 80mph in the mud. Remember, just because you can doesn’t always mean you should…..
Its the Transformer generation. He probably also wants to put 15x15 racing slicks on all 4 corners complete with a air drop system so he can hit the slalom course too :lol:

wow what a site thanks for all your help

you all are to smart for me guess ill just quit jeeps all to gather i dont think im Dick enough to own one anymore you all need to get a life if this is all you got for me i think im done here thanks

here is a little test for everyone who has posted on my thread everyone go ahead and stand up please everyone who dropped out of high school go ahead and set down now anyone who received there education from a vocational school you can set down as-well anyone who bough there jeep with the modifications already installed or paid someone else to do the work take a seat and finale anyone who has their oil changed at walmart you can take a seat too everyone who set down you can kiss my ass you dont know sh*t soon as you climb your self to the top of the food chain you can set with the rest of us at the big boy table until then go back to your chat room

Back