New and full of questions

Had a Datsun 280 zx, 6 cyl, added a turbo, went to a better 5 speed. Was racing a Vette in phx and eating his lunch down I 10. Radar detector went ape, I dropped to 3rd gear and the gear box exploded. I coasted the car to Sanderson Ford and the cop pulled in behind me. He let me off the hook of the big ticket, (115 mph) with the fact that I had my transmission laid all over the highway. I traded the car in for a reasonable ride. A 89 Jeep wrangler. Now the x has the wrangler.

Im a retail sales manager at the top auto parts store in the nation i just found that out recently lol and you know what i did build my jeep it freaking rocks happy now the only thing i didn't get one was get the new bumper ( needs to be fabed) and the winch installed the short throw shifter works great everyone should try one..... The banks header pipe matched with flow through cat and bullet muffler make a throaty v8 sound its awesome me and my friend started the lift at 6pm and finished by 2 am that night no major difficulties. While we were under the hood we did have to change water pump and sand blast the intake manifold the jeep is a beast anyone with a jeep with a I6 there is ton of untapped potential in that motor if you dont believe me ill be posting my new ride on U tube soon and you can all see the link when i post it here for all you doubters lol eat it just because you are smart dont mean you gotta be a dick you are giving all the decent respectful jeepers a bad name get off you high horse and lets go mudding

funny, I have read all your posts, you are the one who has come a cross as a whiny a$$. People here have called you out on what you claim. We have let you know what you are thinking was foolish. This is a forum and as such, we give opinions. When called out, you cried and said you were taking your toys and going home, yet here you are again. Personally, I doubt you got that jeep. I call BS that you put all those "mods" in. I have friends who are big wigs at various parts stores. If you were a "manager of sales" you would not have the time to get all this done. Especially when you claimed you were doing this in 48 hours with mechanic friends helping. Years ago when I flipped wrenches, I did not do freebies for my friends. Its how I made my living. I also doubt you were doing it for pimp my ride. I could be wrong, if so, post the pics we would love to see it and I would like to be told I am wrong. Else I stand by my above statement, BS

worthless-1.gif

Had a Datsun 280 zx, 6 cyl, added a turbo, went to a better 5 speed. Was racing a Vette in phx and eating his lunch down I 10. Radar detector went ape, I dropped to 3rd gear and the gear box exploded. I coasted the car to Sanderson Ford and the cop pulled in behind me. He let me off the hook of the big ticket, (115 mph) with the fact that I had my transmission laid all over the highway. I traded the car in for a reasonable ride. A 89 Jeep wrangler. Now the x has the wrangler.

Damn... I've never had a transmission explode, but I did throw a rod through the block of the KA24DE that was originally in my 240. I wasn't even racing at the time, I was just driving down the highway.

That's why I went to the SR20DET in the first place. I figured if I was gonna have to buy an engine, why not upgrade?

I also doubt you were doing it for pimp my ride.

Wow, I missed that part when I skimmed through the thread. A Jeep Wrangler on Pimp My Ride? Yeah, this guy is so full of **** his eyes are gushing brown.

Damn... I've never had a transmission explode, but I did throw a rod through the block of the KA24DE that was originally in my 240. I wasn't even racing at the time, I was just driving down the highway.

The 5 speed trans that the 280 came with in 78-80 was crap. When Nissan came out with the turbo making the L28 engine put out at 180, they quit putting the 5 speed in. I used a borg T5 trans on mine. They explode nicely
Wow, I missed that part when I skimmed through the thread. A Jeep Wrangler on Pimp My Ride? Yeah, this guy is so full of **** his eyes are gushing brown.
I had to put on my boots just to keep it off me

The 5 speed trans that the 280 came with in 78-80 was crap. When Nissan came out with the turbo making the L28 engine put out at 180, they quit putting the 5 speed in. I used a borg T5 trans on mine. They explode nicely

Yeah, Borg-Warner/TREMTEC T5's are notorious for only being strong enough to handle their factory application. The upside is that they're plentiful, they've been factory standard in at least 30 different models, and still are today afaik. A lot of hot rodders use them because they're easy to find and used ones can be had from a junkyard for next to nothing. The fact that 5th is overdriven is also nice.

Still, a T5 would never be my first choice in any application that required a manual transmission.

I had to put on my boots just to keep it off me

:lol:

Yep, matter of fact, it's pouring! It's not sticking to the roads yet, but it's sticking to everything else. We probably have about 3 inches on the ground so far.

Yep, matter of fact, it's pouring! It's not sticking to the roads yet, but it's sticking to everything else. We probably have about 3 inches on the ground so far.
Jeep snow fun. none has hit my house, but I am in OK right now and have been snowed in.

and to keep from Threadjacking, I claim no education, work on my own jeep (poor here) can fab what I need from bailing wire and a Ford wrench and I am my kids dad

Jeep snow fun. none has hit my house, but I am in OK right now and have been snowed in.

I wish! My YJ is out of commission right now because I still haven't replaced the clutch. It's probably gonna be another couple weeks until I can get around to doing it... I don't think the Joop will see anymore snow until next winter.

That's okay, though. Right before Christmas we got about a foot and a half. I had some fun doing reverse 4WD donuts in the snow and ice.

And finally... yeah, I'm about ready for spring. Can't wait to do some crusin' with the top and the doors off this year.

and to keep from Threadjacking, I claim no education, work on my own jeep (poor here) can fab what I need from bailing wire and a Ford wrench and I am my kids dad

That's all that's asked of you!:beer:

4. Most of us do our own oil changes, getting dirty makes it feel that much better.
icon_biggrin.gif

I fail..lol..last oil change I had done was at a garage.-2 degrees outside.I would rather pay some one else to do it.I personally dont have a garage and do all my work outside.

atleast a beer will stay cold...:D

Im a retail sales manager at the top auto parts store in the nation i just found that out recently lol and you know what i did build my jeep it freaking rocks happy now the only thing i didn't get one was get the new bumper ( needs to be fabed) and the winch installed the short throw shifter works great everyone should try one..... The banks header pipe matched with flow through cat and bullet muffler make a throaty v8 sound its awesome me and my friend started the lift at 6pm and finished by 2 am that night no major difficulties. While we were under the hood we did have to change water pump and sand blast the intake manifold the jeep is a beast anyone with a jeep with a I6 there is ton of untapped potential in that motor if you dont believe me ill be posting my new ride on U tube soon and you can all see the link when i post it here for all you doubters lol eat it just because you are smart dont mean you gotta be a dick you are giving all the decent respectful jeepers a bad name get off you high horse and lets go mudding

Nice punctuation! Man, I'm old....my eyes are bad. Punctuate, please...............remember English class?????

Nice punctuation! Man, I'm old....my eyes are bad. Punctuate, please...............remember English class?????

As I said, it's pretty screwed up when my English (the third language I learned!) is better than his native (and I'm willing to bet, ONLY language!)...

Rufrider....

I agree with you. I'm not very smart (I teach high school English), so I don't know much. What I do know is that all who have helped me out with my "little" Jeep problems have been the best friends I wish I knew. But again, I don't know much, so I am gonna' go outside and admire my little "work in progress" and hope all of you are still out there when some knucklehead like me asks for help. I promise to try and not seem too stupid with all the questions I ask, but again, I'm not very smart....I don't care what Mensa says, most of those bozos can't tie their own shoes without a manual.

Thanks to all of you.

Dave

Last edited:
Rufrider....

I agree with you. I'm not very smart (I teach high school English), so I don't know much. What I do know is that all who have helped me out with my "little" Jeep problems have been the best friends I wish I knew. But again, I don't know much, so I am gonna' go outside and admire my little "work in progress" and hope all of you are still out there when some knucklehead like me asks for help. I promise to try and not seem too stupid with all the questions I ask, but again, I'm not very smart....I don't care what Mensa says, most of those bozos can't tie their own shoes without a manual.

Thanks to all of you.

Dave

Just for clarification, no worries Dave. We are here to share opinions, knowlege and skills. IMO, there is no such thing as a stupid question, unless it was asked to provoke a situation. Opinions are not meant to be in a rude way but sometimes it comes across in a different way when it's received. On that note, to whom i have come across in a wrong way with my opinions and is reading this, i apologize. I try not to offend anyone or criticize their input in a bad way, but sharing one's opinion can sometimes be a chore that is hard to express. IMO, this thread was doing fine up until post #20. It was offensive, arrogant and juvenile among other things. Most of our members here that's been long before i became a member and the one's after have been very helpful contributing in helping other members, i thank them for that. We'll try our best to help. We all learn something new as we go , and even to this day, with my employment i'm still learning from our never ending new technology. Don't be afraid to ask questions that you do not know the answer to, i'm sure someone here would know or at least have an educated answer.:D

whoa boy ! the boys are trying to save you from your daydream. a Jeep is an icon for what you can do to it,with it etc....but common sense has its place . I have found this site to be VERY HELPFULL and everyone dedicated to making your jeeping better, so if your feelings got dinged you might want to look over your expectations and take their advise instead of picking up your toys and running away ! have some fun with the whole thing instead ! no one wants to rain on your parade...just checking your reality ....shades:

I agree with Steel here; the purpose of this forum is to share knowledge and experience. In this particular case, we are disagreing with an idea posted because we see that it is reckless, and we called it. Unfortunately, our appreciation of the situation was taken as a kind of personal insult (which it was not intended to be) and the original poster answered in an offensive way. But like Steel said, the only dumb question is the one that does not get asked.

Of course, if you ask a queestion, since there are many members, you will most likely receive different opi nions, some oppositw to yours even. None will be meant to be offensive, but you have to be willing to take on opinions that look at problems from different angles. You dont have to AGREE with all the opinions, but you should respect the fact that others think differently than you do....

Back