2001 Cherokee problems

CherokeeGuy42

Ok I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4.0. I have a list of problems with it and I need help figuring out how to fix them.

Background info:
I probably should mention that this jeep has been in 2 wrecks. One was with a tree and the tree went down the driverside of the vehicle, and the other I was clipped in the rear driver corner. I don't think either would have done anything to cause my problems, but I could be wrong.

Problem 1: White Smoke
To start off, I have had a slow oil leak which I believe is comming from the rear seal (between the engine and transmission). Well I started driving to West Virginia this weekend and was driving a little too hard and for some reason it didn't want to shift out of third so I was high in the RPM's on a downhill. When I got off the gas, it finally shifted into 4th and I looked in my rearview mirror and I had a huge white cloud of smoke comming out. I pulled over and I was pouring oil pretty good, but wasn't more than 1/2 quart that came out. So I drove it home and parked it.

Problem 2: Electrical
My problem started in the spring. I would be listening to the radio while driving and the radio would just start turning on and off. So I would turn it off for a few minutes and then turn it back on and it would be fine for a few min but then it would do it agian. Only after parking the car for a while, would it stop doing it. It would also do the on/off thing when I would roll up the windows (Power Windows) at the same time and when they would get to the top, it would flicker the radio agian.
On a different night, all of a sudden my turn signals just started flashing for no reason, but stopped after 10 sec.
Then the day that I started blowing smoke, I was on my way home and all of a sudden my rear windsheild wiper started going. I didn't hit the button or anything, but it would just turn on. It would go in incriments of about 10 seconds and only did it about 5 times.
Lastly my locks are going crazy. My back driverside door started not locking or unlocking when I would use the Power Locks. I can only make it work manually. The window on that door works fine, but not the lock. So I took the panel off and looked at it and it seemed fine. So I put it back together and tried it agian and it still wouldn't work. Then when I tried to lock all the doors, none of them would lock with the power locks. They would unlock but not lock.

Problem 3: Brakes
I've mentioned this before, but for some reason my brakes SUCK. I know I'm going to have to replace the insides of the rear passenger brake, but would that one brake make the whole car not stop as quick as it used to? I used to be able to slam my front end down if I slammed the brakes.

Problem 4: Steering
I've also mentioned this one, but for some reason my steering is really loose. Also sometimes when I turn right, it seems like I lose power steering.

I would be very appreciative if people would be able to know what's going on and help me fix it. I'm not sure if the electrical problems are normal or what.

1: White smoke could mean a headgasket
2: Electrical probs are a PITA and it may have something to do with wrecks.
3: When was the last brake job?
4: Does it cut out everytime you turn R?

Back