4 wheel indicator will not shut off

Jeepz4Mee

For some reason my 4 wheel drive indicator light on the dashboard will not shut off. I have already checked where the vacuum plug goes into the transfer case, however, I did not check if the hoses were broken. Also, it engages into 4L and 4H as well as 2H, but the light persists to stay lit. I own a 95 YJ and was wondering whether or not someone might help me on this subject.

Thanks in advance,

Check the vacuum hoses not only to the TC, but also to the D30 axle disconnect... It could be the servo fork, I guess, that is acting up. Can someone confirm this?

check the linkage from the lever inside the Jeep to the transfer case, it sitas in a rubber bushing and on my XJ it had come out and was jamming.

thats when I discovered the rear main seal was leaking:cry:

the start of a lot of repairs

If the light stays on, chances are the disconnect fork in the front axle is remaining engaged even when in 2wd. It's either stuck or there's a vacuum problem preventing it from returning to unlocked in 2wd.

Pull the vacuum harness from the front axle and have a friend shift from 2wd to 4wd while you feel the two vacuum ports for alternating equally strong vacuum.

If your able to shift in and out of 4 wee-dee but the light remains on, my bet is an indicator switch sticking or a short to ground in the circuit.

Back